Fly off handbrake

My darling wife has never been able to get the fly off handbrake on our 4A to work despite hours of careful training. I understand that the TR6 had a “normal” handbrake with a standard ratchet. If this is so I would like to convert to that if only for the sake of marital harmony. Can the group confirm whether this is the case? I am about to replace the handbrake cables so it would be a good time to change. 

3 hours ago, Rockie51 said:

My darling wife has never been able to get the fly off handbrake on our 4A to work despite hours of careful training. I understand that the TR6 had a “normal” handbrake with a standard ratchet. If this is so I would like to convert to that if only for the sake of marital harmony. Can the group confirm whether this is the case? I am about to replace the handbrake cables so it would be a good time to change. 

Also confuses just about every MOT tester I've met over the last 30 odd years!!

Jaguar XK 8s also have a fly off hand brake due to being fitted on the right hand

side of the seat ( stops you tripping over it when getting out of the car ) with hand

brake on.

Harvey S. Maitland

11 hours ago, Rockie51 said:

May be of use... Spitfire/GT6 use a similar construction handbrake lever to that of TR5/6. It might provide parts to convert.

Peter W

3 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:
15 hours ago, Rockie51 said:

Just to clarify... Are you looking to change the handbrake or the wife?

Ooops.... I was feeling ‘brave’ after a glass of wine in the knowledge that Melbourne is quite far away....

We’ve got some really good friends in Melbourne and love visiting Oz. - Our oldest pal for about 30 years, Janine Allis, can be feisty... Sure your ‘darling wife’ is nothing like that?

Cheers

Tony (really looking tforward to Ashes tomorrow - I think!)  

I think the idea was to allow you to use the brake without it locking on, for e,g, handbrake turns in competition use like rallies, trials and autotests. With a conventional brake you would have to keep the button pressed down to do that. I rather like it as it seems to make hill-starts easier.

When I had the hydraulic brakes fail last year, the fly off allowed me to modulate the braking until I got it stopped, without worrying about accidentally locking them up.

Jim