Standard or Fast Road Cam

Hi all

Thinking which way to go with the engine rebuild and sending the dizzy to the Distributor Doctor for a rebuild. After speaking with Martin/Liz it all depends to a degree on what cam I go for.

I'm not building a track car (not allowed:() but one for the road so it needs to idle well on the Lucas PI system.

1) Any mileage in building around a "Fast Road Cam" v Std?

2) What's the advantage and disadvantages from those that have gone with mod and who makes the best one?

Thanks

Andy 

Every one will have their favourite. Usually the one they have gone for basing their experience based on a sample size of 1.

The 6 engine is still pretty forgiving on the Lucas PI- I know of a few road cars that ran full race cams and yet were still reasonably civilised at the expense of fuel consumption).

Unless you have done the head work and balanced/lightened the bottom end I would be cautious about going for one that has a very wild profile with peak power too high but certainly go for a fast road over a standard cam. Unless you go too wild you probably won't need to do too much to the fuelling set up.

I agree with Andy.

your car is a 69 so has the cp cam?, which is a good starting point.

you might consider what you’d like the engine to be like

ie do you want to be able to pootle around AND have fun at higher revs, or could you live with needing some revs to get performance?

Its perfectly possible to have a good balance, my engine pulls smoothly from 1500 revs but also runs hard to the rev limiter at 6000

steve

30 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

Every one will have their favourite. Usually the one they have gone for basing their experience based on a sample size of 1.

The 6 engine is still pretty forgiving on the Lucas PI- I know of a few road cars that ran full race cams and yet were still reasonably civilised at the expense of fuel consumption).

Unless you have done the head work and balanced/lightened the bottom end I would be cautious about going for one that has a very wild profile with peak power too high but certainly go for a fast road over a standard cam. Unless you go too wild you probably won't need to do too much to the fuelling set up.

I agree with what Andy says above,  I used an old M/S SAH extractor manifold, plus a Newman cam, with 280 duration, this cam is not a regrind but a new blank and followers. Torque is greatly increased, power comes in at 1500 RPM, easy to drive in London traffic but I also have a bronze clutch bearing carrier that got rid of the sticky clutch which had always plagued me.

Bruce.