The grandchildren are here for the week-end, so I am out in the garage at 7.30 a.m. to fit the hub extension and the wire wheel back on the RHS rear. I have to be out with the family at 9.00.

1. The 4x nuts for the hub extension were difficult to start but after 5 mins they were all on and torqued up.
  2. The wire wheel was a tight fit which I am happy with but the chrome spinner was impossible to start. After 15 mins with a wire brush I tried another from the spare parts shelf.The spinner went straight on and we drove up the lane with no problems . I thought that the extensions were all the same and it was the spinners that had left and right threads according to which side they were marked for. 

So how are the threaded extension and spinners made to work on the correct side. 

No rain here in Sussex and away up the downs with 3 dogs,TR working, great Sunday morning.

Thanks Richard and B.

Edited by Richardtr3a
additional sentence

No Richard, the extensions are 'handed' to match the spinners otherwise they will not mate, as you found.   Are you sure you now have everything on the correct side?

Hi Richard,

as per Rob's comment.

LH thread on the RH side of the car.  Righthand thread on the lefthand side of the car.

There are also different threads for different cars - MG have a different thread.

Roger

FWIW I found the same thing when fitting new spinners to my hubs. The thread must be scrupulously clean on both spinner and hub, the old grease build up to a real crust. soak in solvent overnight,  then apply very thin coating of vaseline or similar and tighten the spinner with leather hammer and check again after a few miles.

As said make sure that all components are correctly sided/handed.

Beware of paint on hub nut shamfers and ensure metal to metal contact of nut to adapter. Torque correctly and not over tight. check nuts after a few miles!!!!

Rod