Sidescreen cars have a black plastic grip at the top of the handbrake.  During application of the handbrake there is a tendency to apply  a twisting action to this grip which results in the plastic thread area breaking off.  I think I am on about grip number four despite my being extremely careful with it.  Does anyone know a source of less fragile grips or have a trick for making the fragile ones a bit more durable?

Thks Ian

Ian,

Not sure when the change came, but my handbrake has a metal grip.

If you are not too bothered about originality for the year, maybe you could find a metal one .

Charlie.

Metal ones are more than likely an aftermarket (Acme etc.)extra, I have one here if you would like it Ian.

Stuart.

The TR4 one is a push on version as the lever doesnt have the thread and sometimes these are a softer version so dont break as easy though it would need trimming to suit.

Stuart.

Ian,

Mine is a 1959.

When I bought the car it was not modified in any way as far as I could tell, so I would guess it came out of the factory like that.

Hmmm….

Come to think more about it, it did have a chrome gear knob, so maybe a previous owner put a fancy handbrake grip on at the same time.

Charlie

Hi Ian,

My original is much softer material than the repro ones and thus not as brittle. You must apply one hell of a pressure to break the end off. Perhaps you could apply some Gorilla glue to the shaft as you screw it on. If you need to remove it just cut a slit and peel it off.

Rod

The repros are very easy to break as they are so brittle, I have had this on a number of cars. It really needs to be made of a softer material.

Stuart.

16 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Not threaded unfortunately.

Stuart.

2 minutes ago, stuart said:

Not threaded unfortunately.

Stuart.

It is attached by grub screws, I contacted the seller and asked if he could do it in anodised finish.  The plain aluminium will leave you with a nice grubby hand as you use it.  I know as I had a Derrington aluminium gearknob (I bought a couple from them all those years ago when they were in Kingston) that left the palm of my hand as dirty as the oil soaked rubber knob it replaced.  It was replaced by an Amco wood knob that is still fitted and in use since 1975.

Peter W

1 minute ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

It is attached by grub screws, I contacted the seller and asked if he could do it in anodised finish.  The plain aluminium will leave you with a nice grubby hand as you use it.  I know as I had a Derrington aluminium gearknob (I bought a couple from them all those years ago when they were in Kingston) that left the palm of my hand as dirty as the oil soaked rubber knob it replaced.  It was replaced by an Amco wood knob that is still fitted and in use since 1975.

Peter W

The one I have here is anodised in a gold finish so should be OK, its got the right internal thread to fit the handbrake shaft.

Stuart.

I also have a chrome plated steel one. It gets slightly warm on very hot days but never an issue. The slip-on ones slip-off. 

Mine was made by another group member in the '80s, so I assume that they can be re-made from Delrin or similar. Probably an easy 3D printer project although the thread may need cutting. 1/2" BSP?

Mike

I found a soft black plastic one which looks exactly like the original. It just pushes on. Maybe used on a Spitfire as I got it at a TSSC meeting

Bob

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, M. Pied Lourd said:

Good to here from you Tush. 

Keep up with the videos. But know you’ve been busy working. 

H

My TR2, which I owned from 1964 to 1969, had been fitted with an alloy gear knob by the PO - it made for very easy and rapid gear changes, especially 2nd to 3rd, when I could just whack it diagonally across.  My TR4 requires a much more deliberate, 3-step action - but it does have synchro on 1st, which is useful.

Ian Cornish

Would this fit ?

CLASSIC ROVER AUSTIN MINI PEAR SHAPED POLISHED ALLOY CHROME SCREW ON GEAR KNOB https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323549317283

I can’t remember the TR gearstick thread size but I’m pretty sure the mini one is different. 

My more helpful answer is that I believe that the aluminium gear knobs, from the same manufacturer as the handbrake lever, will also soon be available in the UK. 

This information is direct from the manufacturers mouth.

David