? Replace or Refurbish Steering Rack

Gentlemen,

I shall have to do something about my Steering Rack before too long - it has after all done 250K miles of the "4s" 350K history!

Do I refurbish or replace and who might be the best people to approach in either case - and as close to Surrey as possible!

Many thanks

Geoff

I had my rack refurbished some 14 years ago, but it was so knackered that it amounted to replacement of almost all but the basic tube.  Looking at the invoice and comparing the cost with that of Revington's brand new racks, I'm not sure that it was a worthwhile exercise.

For future-proofing, when they became available, I bought one of Neil's new racks and that's stored in the garage loft.

Ian Cornish

I get TRGB to refurbish mine as the new ones arent as good as originals.

Stuart.

5 hours ago, stuart said:

I get TRGB to refurbish mine as the new ones arent as good as originals.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart, I tried to google TRGB but no succes: do you mind giving me their address for future reference please? Thank you!

17 hours ago, earckens said:

Would they accept jobs from mainland Europe you think?

Dont see why not but best email them to ask first.

Stuart.

As far as I recall the bits that needed changing/replacing to refresh a steering rack were the rack bush which is available, the two pinion bushes and thrust washer, which are not available and a set of gaiters.  Beyond that it is just reshimming and filling with lubricant.  The inner tie rod end balls sit in plastic sockets and these will probably need renewing, + lock tabs will be needed too.  If the rack bar or pinion are worn, they will need replacement, and at that point you are in the (financial) realms of buying a new rack & pinion assy. 

GT6/Herald/Vitesse/Spitfire will donate some parts, but the inner tie rods are longer than TR (OK for early TR4)

See here  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/steering-suspension/steering/steering-rack-column-wheel-tr4-4a.html

Cheers

Peter W