Registration plate on front bumper.

Hello all,

The bolts holding the top of my front registration plate to the centre of the bumper can't hold the plate steady, and this is compromising the strength of the metal around the small holes in the reg plate, through which the mounting bolts pass.

Well, I want to shift the plate upwards so that the middle of the reg plate is level with the middle of the bumper, see this image for clarity:

reg_01.jpg

So, I want to know if any owners who have their reg plate centred like the plate in the black car have problems with reg plates flapping around? If so, are there any solutions?

mines fine like that but it is the original 50's plate so its quite a thick lump of ali 

it is the original 50's plate so its quite a thick lump of ali [...]

Thanks again for this. The reg plates I have are non-original and are a rather weedy 3mm thick aluminium. There is already a crack forming around one of the bolt mount holes. I will replace the reg plates with some more robust ones. But how many mm thick were these registration plates back in the 50s?

Edited by oxf2
spelling
On 7/26/2019 at 4:34 PM, oxf2 said:

Hello all,

The bolts holding the top of my front registration plate to the centre of the bumper can't hold the plate steady, and this is compromising the strength of the metal around the small holes in the reg plate, through which the mounting bolts pass.

Well, I want to shift the plate upwards so that the middle of the reg plate is level with the middle of the bumper, see this image for clarity:

reg_01.jpg

So, I want to know if any owners who have their reg plate centred like the plate in the black car have problems with reg plates flapping around? If so, are there any solutions?

The centred mounting has worked fine on my TR since 1975 using pressed aluminium plates

Peter W

PS Drill some holes and get on with it or the nice weather will be gone and your car will be back in the warm dry garage.....

Ah yes, I've done that already Peter! And it's reassuring to read that owners are finding this mid-mounted plate holds well through the decades. Still, the thought of getting an original spec reg plate is appealing. :)

9 hours ago, oxf2 said:

Ah yes, I've done that already Peter! And it's reassuring to read that owners are finding this mid-mounted plate holds well through the decades. Still, the thought of getting an original spec reg plate is appealing. :)

Contact TR Register Ireland.  Or. http://www.acepeakplates.com/

Proper 50/60 style raised did get plates.  from memory  they are about 200 euros a pair.  Get ‘em quick before the trade barriers rise!

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT