Hi All

I am fortunate enough to own an original example of the fitted suitcase, which was sold as an accessory for use in TR2 -TR3B.

It is made by Brexton, the original suppliers to Standard Triumph, who were well known at the time for supplying luggage, picnic hampers etc.

Mine is a deepish blue (not sure which shade) and in pretty good condition for it's age, with only minor faults. 

I wish to sell it, but cannot establish what it's value is, as they never seem to come on the market, such is their scarcity.

I have already had one substantial offer from the US, but need to check if it is resonable. 

It seems to me that paying for one is a minor issue, compared to the task of actually finding one to buy in the first place.

Anybody got any ideas on value?

Any help appreciated.

Regards Simon

10 hours ago, I used to have one of those! said:

Hi All

I am fortunate enough to own an original example of the fitted suitcase, which was sold as an accessory for use in TR2 -TR3B.

It is made by Brexton, the original suppliers to Standard Triumph, who were well known at the time for supplying luggage, picnic hampers etc.

Mine is a deepish blue (not sure which shade) and in pretty good condition for it's age, with only minor faults. 

I wish to sell it, but cannot establish what it's value is, as they never seem to come on the market, such is their scarcity.

I have already had one substantial offer from the US, but need to check if it is resonable. 

It seems to me that paying for one is a minor issue, compared to the task of actually finding one to buy in the first place.

Anybody got any ideas on value?

Any help appreciated.

Regards Simon

I would like one. PM me what they have offered/what you are after?

I have a man in America desperate for one to go in his ex works 3,

I sold one about 2 years ago. It was over £500, less than £1000

Such a great addition to any car :) 

1 hour ago, T Rusty said:

I’ve never seen one. Any chance you could post a picture?  My TR3 will, one day, be Winchester Blue but it will be some time before I need a blue suitcase for it...but I’d still like to see what it looks like. Paul

Have a look at this link for pictures

Here are some photos of the one which I was given by its original owner. He, his red TR and luggage box crossed the Atlantic to America in the 1950's shortly after he finished his degree in London. The label attached to the front handle is the original from the outward crossing to New York, detailing the steamer concerned, The Media. He was encouraged to go to the US for work experience and I believe that he drove his TR across the US and back again before shipping the car home. I had lunch with him and his family last year. Although he is in his 90s he is very active physically and mentally.

Miles

DSC04588.thumb.jpg.927e007c7f4e46ad954ca28f3eb365ca.jpg

DSC05593.thumb.jpg.106f8df92d206aff9f7130aa31806244.jpg

DSC04590.thumb.jpg.fc89048639e057921143ede5dc93fb63.jpg

1 hour ago, Glynn Hobbs said:

I would not let it go for less than £500...........they are like rocking horse sh*t!

AND to a special car that deserves it, not just the highest offer.

AlanR

Curious to see pictures of the blue one !

i have a blue one too.

on the last Dutch National Triumph Day here in the Netherlands I surprised Hans Kooi by pulling mine out of the boot!

we took pictures of both together, almost identical, little difference in the hinges.

D38536DF-811A-45FE-9A6E-DB91457DFEE6.jpeg

Love the pictures and the story from Miles. I cant find the fitted suitcase on any factory options page but Bill P published what looks like a Stanpart part number for it - 800608. Was it a factory option and does anyone know what it cost ?. Back in 1959 adding Overdrive cost GBP 160 so I'm guessing a lot less than that. Maybe less than GBP 30 ?

Stan

Edited by foster461

Here's how the fitted suitcase was presented in the September 1956 TR3 accessories brochure, Stan:

i-hnKckws.jpg

i-CBrSB5R.jpg

The fitted suitcase was a tenner in 1956.  That's the equivalent of £250 today based on inflation alone.

i-hsL4XXL.jpg

i-S8x7hrp.jpg

Edited by Don H.
44 minutes ago, Don H. said:

The fitted suitcase was a tenner in 1956.  That's the equivalent of £250 today based on inflation alone.

i-hsL4XXL.jpg

i-S8x7hrp.jpg

Plus purchase tax which at the time was around 33 1/3%

Stuart.

Post Script. I asked my friend how he came to acquire the suitcase. Having spent all of his savings on buying the car he couldn't imagine why he would have spent any more money (that he didn't have) on the TR case, particularly as he had access to other suitcases. Maybe offered by the dealer as an inducement to close the deal on the car. On the other hand, those that have survived are in a range of colours, so I wonder if they were bespoke / made on demand rather than off the shelf items.

Miles

34 minutes ago, foster461 said:

10 guineas Don. A denomination normally used for racehorses and pretentious stuff.

Hah!  Pre-decimal currency has never made sense to me, Stan!  The idea of 1 pound and 1 shilling as a unit of measure is stranger than anything we do over here, and that's saying something.

Perhaps guineas were still used for pretentious stuff like bespoke luggage, too.

Slight topic swerve.

The accessories list also includes a radiator blind. Never seen one of those - might be rarer than the cases. I recall when a child that my father would partially block the radiator grilles of his cars in the winter. Not a problem we have these days with trying to manage overheating on our engines.

Miles

1 hour ago, MilesA said:

Slight topic swerve.

The accessories list also includes a radiator blind. Never seen one of those - might be rarer than the cases. I recall when a child that my father would partially block the radiator grilles of his cars in the winter. Not a problem we have these days with trying to manage overheating on our engines.

Miles

You mean like this? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR2-tr3-tr3a-tr4-stanpart-radiator-muff-kit-adjustable/233077982046?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Stuart.

In the cold winters which we had in the early 1960s, I used to blank of most of the radiator's air inlet on my TR2.  I think I used a piece of wood, cut to fit.

Ian Cornish

For reference, here are the other pages of that September 1956 TR3 accessories brochure as a slideshow.

https://4xdog.smugmug.com/frame/slideshow?key=5KHMZw&autoStart=1&captions=0&navigation=0&playButton=0&randomize=0&speed=3&transition=fade&transitionSpeed=2&clickable=1

Edited by Don H.