Looking at a project TR4 but....

need a good body. This car has been fitted with a Ford engine and GB and the body has been raised to clear the GB arch. Looking at the pics there's something I don't like. Shall I walk away ?

Inner wing RH.jpg

Looks like a crack. Not sure I like it. 

Is it this one?   

Triumph TR4 1964 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113826420202

a change of engine and gearbox could add value if you can find them. 

20 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Looks like a crack. Not sure I like it. 

Is it this one?   

Triumph TR4 1964 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113826420202

a change of engine and gearbox could add value if you can find them. 

That's the one. I have engine, ancillaries,  GB and interior...

This car is possibly fine, but. I've seen a chassis for sale recently which was clearly cut away in places to make way for a non standard gearbox bell housing. So I would suggest a good inspection of the chassis is in order. Would hate to see the car fold in half between the A posts.

Steve

Hey Stef,

That will be a fair amount of $'s outlaid to land it at your location, together with upgrades you have planned, and unseen contingencies.

Do you really need 2 TR4's. :D

I get it now.:)

May be cheaper and more cars to choose from if you buy in the USA.

Rhd conversion is relatively easy on TR4-6. Just a steering rack, dash frame/fascia, alter the pedal box and labour.

Agree with Malbaby. Good deals available in USA. I bought one from Merit Cars, New York, last year. Purchase and delivery process all went well. Conversion went well. Restoration still underway. He has a rough TR4 for sale on his site. And tr3s. 

David B

shipping to my location will be double from the US than from UK. I will pay a premium for US reimport to the UK though, so overall it's the same 

2 hours ago, Geko said:

shipping to my location will be double from the US than from UK. I will pay a premium for US reimport to the UK though, so overall it's the same 

Odd that as I would have though shipping from Western seaboard of the US to you would have been easier or are there heavy tariffs?

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Odd that as I would have though shipping from Western seaboard of the US to you would have been easier or are there heavy tariffs?

Stuart.

I think it is the routing. Shippers i've dealt with departed from East coast and US land transport can cost a bomb if the shipment is located in the inner states. A 12FT container is ~ £ 2-3K. From Southampton the same is ~ £1.2-1.5K depending on the cost of land transport. 

Edited by Geko
2 hours ago, Geko said:

I think it is the routing. Shippers i've dealt with departed from East coast and US land transport can cost a bomb if the shipment is located in the inner states. A 12FT container is ~ £ 2-3K. From Southampton the same is ~ £1.2-1.5K depending on the cost of land transport. 

Try getting in touch with a West coast shipper then as cars from that side often come over here from that side via Panama. Got to be cheaper

Stuart.