Gentlemen

Planning a brake overhaul later  this year on my TR4, new pads , discs and fluid also considering fitting a servo. The Moss catalogue shows two types, the Lockheed one is over twice the price of the aftermarket one, what is the difference between the two and is the Lockheed one worth the extra cost ? secondly is there a compatibility issue with the various thread sizes, any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Chris.

Hi Chris,

first question - do you really need a servo?

The wheels can be locked up without the servo.

Are you running out of steam in the leg engine area?

Adding a servo increases the opportunity for the gremlins and elves to play havoc.

Roger

"Adding a servo increases the opportunity for the gremlins and elves to play havoc."

I had a servo on my TR3a but it started to misbehave so I took it off.  I agree with Roger unless you are having leg problems, you shouldn't need it.

Rgds Ian

Despite advancing years still fit and able but just thinking about the future plus `er indoors` who drives it occasionally when I have had too much real ale complains the brakes are heavy compared with her Golf.

Cheers Chris

13 minutes ago, Chris Hubball said:

Despite advancing years still fit and able but just thinking about the future plus `er indoors` who drives it occasionally when I have had too much real ale complains the brakes are heavy compared with her Golf.

Cheers Chris

In that case then get a servo.  If it was me I would go for the expensive thinking (fool that I am) it is of better quality.

But does it fit easily and work flawlessly.

Roger

Mine was a cheapo one I think, cost about £80 many years ago.  To be fair we all have brake servos on our modern cars and they very rarely go wrong.  There is no reason to expect a good quality item to fail.

Rgds Ian

PS I have seen a servo fitted to the clutch of a TR6 - apparently it was too heavy.

42 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

PS I have seen a servo fitted to the clutch of a TR6 - apparently it was too heavy.

Hi Ian,

I thought about doing that 10 or more years ago as my 4A clutch was very heavy. Since then I have sorted the clutch and it works OK now.

But the servo Is always in the back of my mind.

Roger

31 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Ian,

I thought about doing that 10 or more years ago as my 4A clutch was very heavy. Since then I have sorted the clutch and it works OK now.

But the servo Is always in the back of my mind.

Roger

I've seen a successful servo installation on the clutch of a Scimitar GTE. Would never have thought it possible but it really can work!

Nigel

14 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Mine was a cheapo one I think, cost about £80 many years ago.  To be fair we all have brake servos on our modern cars and they very rarely go wrong.  There is no reason to expect a good quality item to fail.

Rgds Ian

Bald Rick has one on the clutch on his TR6 works a treat.

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 624 - Copy.JPG

Edited by stuart

Chris,

Buy the more expensive Lockheed version - the cheaper ones (Powertune ?) seem to be luck of the draw, which I suppose is down to poor quality control. I fitted the cheaper one which never worked correctly, so then had to fork out double for the Lockheed version and had the trouble of refitting.  Don’t waste your time and money - buy the best quality one, you won’t regret it.

Rgds,

Chris

On 7/25/2019 at 7:37 PM, Nigel Triumph said:

I've seen a successful servo installation on the clutch of a Scimitar GTE. Would never have thought it possible but it really can work!

Nigel

I've come across that done on a TR4a!

Hi Chris, I've had one fitted for over 12 years now and consider it money well spent. Don't expect Audi like assistance at speed but around town a light touch will stop you in traffic. I slow down now without having to think about it but still try and leave a good gap to the car in front as moderns with abs etc will always stop much quicker than a TR.                                      My second best brake improvement was a set of Hawke pads, more bite at all speeds and hardly any dust on wheels. Expensive but worth it. 

Chris

Edited by ChrisR-4A