(I've looked for a thread.....)_

My 1959 TR3A is leaking round the drain plug. (59k commission number).   It is a 'reconditioned tank in steel fitted by the PO.  It's only done 3000 miles in the several years since the re-build was done by a PO.  I'm thinking about changing the tank rather than throwing good money after bad.... (and sorting out the dodgy fuel gauge at the same time.

What are people's views please on which replacement to choose.  RImmers offer steel, stainless and aluminum, topping at £330 for the aluminium one.  Remington offer an ally one for £440, which they recommend and say that the steel one rots from the inside.

I'm 72 and expect/hope for 20 years for my own use... but would prefer to do an OK job that will last.  Is it really better to go for the aluminium one, please?

Many thanks in hope of some light on the subject.

Ian

Ian  - I'm sure you will get various differing views with pros and cons for all 3 types of tank material - alloy tanks do seem to be popular and from the number of these being promoted by the main stream TR suppliers,  if there was a major problem, then I'm sure it would have manifested itself by now.

I have also sent you a PM

Cheers

Rich

Ian

Beware of the two main suppliers offerings, they do not fit properly. The intake pipe on top of the tank does not line up with the filler cap pipe without tilting the tank forward off the boot floor. The tank ends up at an obviously absurd angle! Don't ask how I know. Eventually bought an aluminium tank from Alicool - they advertise on Ebay and the tank fits, it's also less than £300.

Rob

Hi Rich,

Does your tank have swages on the ends of the tank as I understand that if not the welds can be effected.if these are not present. The original had I think a cross of formed ridges to stiffen the Tank.

There was a fabrication Company that I got mine from and he used my original tank as the pattern. It was beyond any thing that could be done as the bottom was completely shot. The result was a work of art and super quality. he also made replacement stainless steel straps with bonded rubber to locate the tank.

Ian.

FWIW Beware of the thickness of the material used also and the early ones were seriously under rated i the thickness stakes, before you buy, ask about these two issues and ask for advice as you do not want to have to redo this within a couple of years when the tank splits. Also ask about internal baffles.which prevent nasty slop of fuel at half tank.

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

Rod - I think you must have meant to address the first part of you post to Rob, not me, but for whats it worth, I have used Alicool tanks for quite a while now, and have never had a problem with them - they have baffles and an internal swirl pot as standard, and the quality of their alloy welding is really good - in fact the best I've seen.

In fact I bought a job lot of them to get a good discount, as I have a number of restorations of my own to do, and subsequently have been selling them off ever since to other members, and as far as I am aware, no-one has experienced any problems.

I've heard about the other suppliers issues, and that's one reason why I understand Alicool are so busy at the moment as they have been picking up these disaffected customers.

Cheers

Rich

Thanks everyone

i think it will be an aluminium tank.

Would you fit a fuel-spill screen, or firewall?

I shan't be racing......

Now to check exactly which one

My TS number is 59432L, so I am assuming it is a pre-60k, but as we all know there are vagaries in there.

Is the position of the drain the key criteria?

Thanks a lot

I was not expecting to do this, but know I have got to do it,  I want to get on with it before Stratford.

Best wishes

Ian

I’d fit a ali sheet fire wall. Yes  

I have one in my 3a for sprints etc but having done 3 seasons I see MORE need for one on the road, far more hazards !!!!

its all the others you have to watch out for. It doesn’t take much and you don’t have to be going fast as this video demonstrates.

"Is the position of the drain the key criteria? "

I think that is the main issue to line up with the hole in the boot floor for both the outlet pipe and the drain hole. The outlet hole is either centre (TR2 to early TR3a) or nearside later TR3a's . The drain hole is on the offside for TR2 to early TR3a, not sure about later cars in this respect but have a look on the Rimmer or Moss web sites, they will confirm the TS number range for the different tanks.

Rob