Brake Master Cylinder problems

How old is the fluid? If water is present it can expand, and I suppose also the fluid.

I would first check the push rod clearance in the servo, can be done without disconnecting the pipes, may have to remove some clamps first, straight edge across the mounting holes, no more than 0.010" the rod can be adjusted a little shorter.

John

Quick up-date, new discs & pads fitted, brake fluid changed again.

65/70 mph for 15 miles then through town in traffic for 20mins.

Then back up the motor way 70+ for 15 miles,

All good when i got home, front brakes just warm ( what you would expect )

Hope this has cured the problem, next stop Stratford On Avon.

Mick.

• 10 months later...

Michael - can I ask if this issue has definitely been resolved through adding the washers or have you now adjusted the servo rod (or another solution).?
i just purchased a new master cylinder and reservoir from Rimmers (TRW Kit) and get exactly the same problem.  Issue with mine is that the plunger seems to stick in place even once the MBC is removed and  I have had to tap it out with hammer to release it back to position for first strike.

would like to hear if yours is fullybresolved before I invest an more time in trying to sort it .

thanks

Hi Michael

you seem to have a slightly different problem to me. My Master Cylinder operated fine ( not sticking )

But it did have a smaller size mounting flange that allowed the Servo push rod to almost touch the M/C  shuttle.

Once i figured this out i just backed of the push rod ( which is adjustable )

If your M/C  is not returning properly i would send it back to Rimmers .

When you get your replacement just make sure you have the correct clearance on the push rod , i used a bit of Plasticine.

Then gave it a little bit more lol.

Been fine for 1000mls so i reckon thats a fix.

Hope you get it sorted . All the best Mick.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mick - still got same issue so trying one more time as roomers said I Woukd weed to Send MCR back to TRW and wait 5 weeks.

do you mean you adjusted the servo pushrod by turning the bolt on the end facing the plunger in the MCR? Haynes manual suggests this is possible but my push rod looks nothing like any of the diagrams 

There is a set measurment the plunger should protrude,it is in the manual or one of them, I have had some fun in the past with this problem  nothing 

To do with discs fluid etc plunger and tipping valve, can be a faulty product,