Gearbox oil change intervals

What are people's thoughts on the oil change intervals for a gearbox with J type overdrive. It was 6 years ago when I last did a change but only 6000 miles since. Should I change due to the time or not bother yet because of the low mileage. Another conundrum for cars that cover low mileages!

Coincidentally imlast changed my tr6’s gearbox/j type overdrive 6 uears ago too Monty

am about do do anual engine oil change so maybe i should do both......

steve

It does to an extent depend on what oil your gearbox is filled with. Standard 40 monograde gearbox oil should last a long time.

if it has been filled with multigrade oil, particularly 20/50 engine oil then annual changes might be considered as the additive packages & viscosity enhancers can be sheared by the gears and thus have a relatively short life in a gearbox application.

1 hour ago, Andy Moltu said:

It does to an extent depend on what oil your gearbox is filled with. Standard 40 monograde gearbox oil should last a long time.

if it has been filled with multigrade oil, particularly 20/50 engine oil then annual changes might be considered as the additive packages & viscosity enhancers can be sheared by the gears and thus have a relatively short life in a gearbox application.

1 hour ago, Andy Moltu said:

Always been filled with Penrite Gear 40. The last change showed clean oil & neglible deposits on the overdrive filters.

Recommended for Tr2-3,  top up at 6,000 and drain and replace at 12,000 miles.

For me I drain/replace at 6000 miles. What price reliability? Approx £15 plus some rolling around under the car :D

image.thumb.png.bed5d542f7b76036f2a8b67a51518041.png

4 hours ago, iain said:

Recommended for Tr2-3,  top up at 6,000 and drain and replace at 12,000 miles.

For me I drain/replace at 6000 miles. What price reliability? Approx £15 plus some rolling around under the car :D

image.thumb.png.bed5d542f7b76036f2a8b67a51518041.png

It is not the cost, just the inconvenience, lack of home facilities & the disinclination @ 73 to crawl under the car! Does modern quality correct gearbox oil deteriorate in 6 years or 6000 miles is the real conundrum.

16 hours ago, monty said:

Does modern quality correct gearbox oil deteriorate in 6 years or 6000 miles is the real conundrum.

No, it does not. 

Its heavily stabilised to operate in churning air/oxygen at high temperatures for many years... So sitting in a cold stationary gearbox it will last decades.