I have a search on ebay that occasionally pops up and sends an email even though I thought I'd cancelled it long ago.  Today it sent me a link to H section steel con rods for a TR 4 pot engine for about £200, (which seems pretty cheap), however my main point of interest and the reason for this post is that, looking at the pictures, they don't appear to have any central drilling for an oilway   In the workshop manual they make a point that the original TR conrods are drilled to provide lubrication to the small end bush; how come this isn't needed for what I presume is a racing item?

Rgds Ian

Cos it's the point where high revs find out the tensile strength of the rods ie that's where I've broken them across the oil drilling. For racing the increased clearances normally allow enough splash lube around not to need them.

Mick Richards  

• 1 month later...

i have seen these mentioned many times but has anyone used them for a prolonged period ?

i use the much more expensive H rods in the race engine.

Have spoken to a race ford engine builder who said that due to the expense  of tooling to make these it would be silly not to use quality steel.  Uses them all the time and happy.

ROY

Had a set in for about 10K without any issues, no racing, but track days & touring, very happy with them, there is a significant weight saving over the originals.

If you refer to 'MaxSpeedingRods' or similar, I've used a set in an , as yet,

unused TR 4 pot engine, so can't speak for their longevity.

However, I found that they must be given clearance at the bottom of the 

cylinder liners, due to the rod big end being split horizontally for the cap, as

opposed to the ST item which is split on the diagonal which presents a narrower

profile and therefore does not touch the liners on rotation of the crank.

Otherwise, my ex Laystall balancing man thought they 'looked' excellent,

and I certainly had no other issues fitting them

Roger M-E

I know various 4 and 6 cylinder Triumph engines built with these connecting rods.  In addition, the manufacturers also produces connecting rods for various other car brands such as VW / Audi, Alfa, Ford, Opel, etc. without the quality was previously criticized.  I have also read a test in the original connecting rod, MaxpeedingRods and Carillo were compared.  Here, too, the quinine product has performed well, not quite reaching the level of Carillo but costs only a fraction of it.  Unfortunately, I can not find the source anymore.  The VW / Audi engines reach performances of sometimes more than 400 hp.  A friend with good knowledge has helped me to build a TR6 engine with 77 mm VW pistons from Nüral in conjunction with the H-Shaft connecting rods and drives itself a tuned engine with meanwhile over 30 TKM mileage in the range of 6500 to 7000 rpm  in the top.

Harald

However, I found that they must be given clearance at the bottom of the 

cylinder liners, due to the rod big end being split horizontally for the cap, as

opposed to the ST item which is split on the diagonal which presents a narrower

profile and therefore does not touch the liners on rotation of the crank

Good point Roger, I had forgotten that. It's only marginal but worth noting as it may require the bottom edge of the liners machining back.

Roger

Just fitted along with new MaxSpeeding rods as part of the engine rebuild

Some of the original con-rod bolts were a bit iffy and . ARP bolts looked a good option but as the con rods themselves had seen better days MaxSpeeding rods complete with ARP bolts came to not much more than the cost of a set of bolts.

The conrods balanced to 1 gram and were 2/3 the weight of the original ones

The engineer putting the engine together was well pleased with the quality and no fettling of the 87mm liners was required to provide clearance

Phil

• 1 year later...
On 9/20/2019 at 8:14 PM, Chilliman said:

Good point Roger, I had forgotten that. It's only marginal but worth noting as it may require the bottom edge of the liners machining back.

I have just done a check on this, assembling a new liner into the block with no Figure od 8 gasket (to make the test harder) connected a maxspeedingrod conrod to a piston & the crank, & carfully rotated it looking for any clearance issues - there were none the nearest the rod end got to the liner base was around 15mm.  

1017396936_Newconrodstest1.thumb.jpg.211d892c29a1f74a190424d03706eb7d.jpg 

1649807501_Newconrodstest2.thumb.jpg.cb7dbcbeb55f154504fbd63179eaa968.jpg

Bob.

My TR5 6 cylinder engine is being built currently with these Maxspeed rods.

I did find that I had to grind back a chamfer in the cylinder skirt to provide clearance for the rods. It required less than a 5 x 5 mm chamfer but that was sufficient to provide clearance. I did this before it went for the rebore so in theory that should have provided a few thou extra clearance. 

The attached photos are not the best quality but first one shows before and second one shows after with chamfer.

I had the rods balanced. Can't remember weight differences but they were very close requiring minimal work to equalise them. 

At the price they are a sound purchase I believe. Time will tell with regard to longevity in use.

Dave McD

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

Bob. 
love the forethought to check these things. it’s a great thread. 

the notch on the crank web (?) 2nd pic above. Is that where they have balanced the crank in the past. 

do you have to note the position of the flywheel to crank before removal or does the balancing happen with the conrod/piston pairing ?

keep up the good work, enjoying this thread :D

Edited by Hamish

H, the flywheel and crank are marked from the factory for 1/4 on TDC. 
The cut out on the web is where material was removed for balancing, probably when new. 

Iain

Maxpeeding rods enclosed instruction leaflet mention 45 ft lbs torque using ARP lube - what is this and where is it obtained.

What torque have others used and what process? 

Some measurements of what we have - The Maxpeeding con rods all come in at 658 grms each.  (about 2/3 the weight of original lightened con rods)

The lightened and balanced original TR4A con rod set we have, that were done by Osselli, weigh 940 grms each. 

The Power Max 87 mm pistons come in at 660 grms each.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
On 9/20/2019 at 6:25 PM, Harald said:

I know various 4 and 6 cylinder Triumph engines built with these connecting rods.  In addition, the manufacturers also produces connecting rods for various other car brands such as VW / Audi, Alfa, Ford, Opel, etc. without the quality was previously criticized.  I have also read a test in the original connecting rod, MaxpeedingRods and Carillo were compared.  Here, too, the quinine product has performed well, not quite reaching the level of Carillo but costs only a fraction of it.  Unfortunately, I can not find the source anymore.  The VW / Audi engines reach performances of sometimes more than 400 hp.  A friend with good knowledge has helped me to build a TR6 engine with 77 mm VW pistons from Nüral in conjunction with the H-Shaft connecting rods and drives itself a tuned engine with meanwhile over 30 TKM mileage in the range of 6500 to 7000 rpm  in the top.

Harald

This one?

https://bofiracing.co.uk/blog/maxpeedingrods-cheap-chinese-rods-our-verdict/

http://blog.maxpeedingrods.com/?p=1417

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Good indication if a manufacturer is willing to share some info.

Be aware though that the material test certificate data refer to a specific batch of material (of which a number of rods can be made) and are no indication for products not made from this batch. 

Only if a material certificate is supplied with the rods that can be traced back to these rods it would apply for them.

But if many sets are installed and no issues reported on car forums etc. that is a very good indication for consistency in quality and may be even more important that a traceable material quality, which is just one aspect of quality assurance and control.

Waldi

13 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Maxpeeding rods enclosed instruction leaflet mention 45 ft lbs torque using ARP lube - what is this and where is it obtained.

What torque have others used and what process? 

ARP lube is easily available, in fact I bought a small pack of it only yesterday for exactly the same purpose:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARP-Ultra-Torque-Fastener-Assembly-Lube-Lubricant-0-5-Fluid-oz-100-9908/113194218142?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

ARP fixings usually require torquing up to a certain (lowish) value, & then rotating by a further 90° or so. Do the instructions not specify ?

(Mine are outside, so cannot check at the mo')

Bob.

4 hours ago, Lebro said:

ARP lube is easily available, in fact I bought a small pack of it only yesterday for exactly the same purpose:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARP-Ultra-Torque-Fastener-Assembly-Lube-Lubricant-0-5-Fluid-oz-100-9908/113194218142?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

ARP fixings usually require torquing up to a certain (lowish) value, & then rotating by a further 90° or so. Do the instructions not specify ?

(Mine are outside, so cannot check at the mo')

Bob.

No mention of angular torque on my instruction sheet 

Peter W

80B98C49-487D-457C-8E67-8DF8039E5E22.jpeg

EF31E18D-812C-4592-82B5-8ECFA6384959.jpeg

I purchased a set ready for my 4A engine build last year.  I spoke to someone has built many 4 and 6 cylinder race engines who was initially sceptical at the low price but had a set tested and has now built several race TR engines with them.  Well for me all they had to be was good enough for a fast road engine and as such they are lighter and stronger than stock and quite frankly cheaper than getting a set of originals properly prepped. 

Frankly will put a set in the 6 when I next freshen it up but on the 6 the longer stoke means they can foul on the bottom of the bore. However as this is below the business end a bit of work with a die grinder may be needed so that the wide H can clear.

Ran out of time over the winter to do it but this winter it will happen (when I get my engine stand & hoist back which won’t be until after lockdown) 

12 hours ago, stillp said:

Where are they manufactured?

Pete

Contact is Hong Kong https://www.maxpeedingrods.com/index.php?route=information/contact

Manufacturing is mainland China Chongquing I think.

Peter W