TR3 distributor - refurbish or buy a new one?

I have a 1956 TR3, chassis TS 10069, listed as 1991cc.  My engine no plate says  TS997 FR (!)
Everything on the engine seems standard - I have not changed anything - including the twin 1.5" H4 SU Carburettors

I'm trying to decide whether to buy new, or have rebuilt, my (non -standard for my engine) distributor, which is a model no Lucas 25D part number 40783A 366.  I have been running it with a Luminition ignition system bought from MOSS, which is not altogether satisfactory having let me down twice. 
In trying to spec my engine, and so match the right distributor, the below image suggests I have a cylinder liner that is -20 thou i.e.oversize.  (Assuming that's what Stanparts ' -020 'means) .  Does this mean I probably have 86mm diameter pistons instead of 83mm?  (page18 MOSS TR2-4a catalogue)
Tony Bannard-Smith

IMG_6694.JPG

Hi Tony,

welcome to the forum  The data plate is for a Factory Rebuilt engine (FR). So at some point the original engine died and was replaced with what you have now.

Your data plate says your journals are now undersize by 0.020". Your bores are Standard - 83mm.

Not sure of you can buy a standard dizzy for your car. the 25D is very good. Why not send it to Martin Jay (the Distributor doctor). He will make it sing.

Roger

Thank you Roger, Stuart, Mike for your advice.

I have been in touch with the Distributor Doctor and heard what he has to say. It was his questioning about the bore size on my engine that had me checking and thus the query.  

Mike - do we know if all TR2's only had the 1.5"  H4 SU, and that as soon as Standard Triumph produced the TR3, they immediately changed up to the 1.75"  H6 SU ?   That's certainly what the Moss catalogue infers (pp38-40), Also my SU Catalogue from Burlen Fuels suggests it was a clear cut change at the change of model (p166).   But I wonder if there is a known TS chassis/engine number when the carbs changed from H4 to H6? 

According to Bill Piggott's book, Original Triumph TR2/3/3A the change to H6 carbs was at commission number TS8637which was the start of TR3 production.

Cheers

Richard

My distributor was overhauled in 1985 by Aldon. It ran ok but in 2007 I sent it to Martin Jay  for a full overhaul, and he found some problems

1. Wear in the shaft
  2. Wrongly assembled shackle pivot washers fitted under one weight
  3. Wrong springs
  4. Springs not matched
  5. Wrong weights
  6. Wrong vacuum unit

and more. He overhauled my unit and ever since the engine starts like a modern car. He did a second one for me so that I have a spare. The condensers made in the far east are very badly made. He makes his own which have much longer foil. I bought a racing condenser for a mini £33.00 and hot starting is easy now. I once had to return from Classic Le Mans and park on a hill at every stop. The new condenser, mounted outside the distributor, has solved all those problems. Martin jay is the only place to find the best quality. Checked file Swiftune Competition condenser SW-IG-CC, not strictly necessary but I like it, after the French trip.

good luck Richard & B.

First H6 SU engine was TS8997E but they weren't fitted in sequence.  When the FR plates were attached the original number was usually ground off, I guess some sort of X-Ray analysis might show what was there but it is a bit extreme!  A few more photos of the engine may give some more clues.

My engine has a mildly modified camshaft and 87mm pistons, Martin Jay built me a distributor to match this.  I also have a standard distributor rebuilt by him which while not quite as good still performs satisfactorily.

Mike