I bought three new flexible brake hoses to replace the front and back flex lines in the TR6 (front drive side had already been done).  Parts guy at Peninsula Auto (Toronto) says the right and left rear ones are different.  I didn't realize this.

On installing front right hose, the one he had sold me (at an extortion rate for an 'made - in - India' knockoff) didn't fit.  The purchased hose was 8" long with the two 1" fittings no the end; total length 10".  The length required for the front end is 12" total length.  

Perhaps he's mislabeled them, thinks I.  Sure enough, one of the hoses labeled for the rear is the correct length and diameter for the front.  Front end now sorted.

However, now I'm left with two identical rear hoses, both with 8" hose length and the 1" fittings on the ends.

The question; what is the difference between the right and left rear flexi-brake hoses?

Thoughts, opinions welcome.

Edited by stillreel
clarity
1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi,

in the UK, Moss no longer do the standard flex hoses. They now show TT3242 as a kit of two hoses. It appears they are the same left & right.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/brake-system/rear-brakes/brake-pipes-hoses-tr5-6.html

Roger

The hoses on the car look identical too (rear: right and left).  But if I was to order them individually, I would need two different parts numbers.

Edited by stillreel
spelling

The rear flexis are two different hoses as one goes into the 3 way block. GBH178 rear L/Hand GBH177 rear R/Hand

Stuart.

The Roadster Factory shows images of the rear hoses in their catalogue.

The fittings, the length and part numbers are different.

The front hoses are the same part number.

Edited by Sapphire72

So I got behind the rear wheels to take a look at both L & R flex hoses currently on the car and they appear to be the same length (8").  Further, the threads on the fittings on all 4 ends are all the same (3/8 UNF?).  Same length, same thread and to my eye, interchangeable.  As such, I'm still puzzled as to why they are different part numbers.

BC

Edited by stillreel

Hi BC,

one of the rear hoses uses a flat copper ring that compresses between the 3-way block and the boss on the hose.

the other connections (ends) seal with a conical seat on both nipples (male and female)

If you have the correct items and compare them you can spot the difference.

Waldi

After contacting Peninsula Auto re: the wrong part, they quickly sent out the correct hose.  All four flexible brake hoses have now been replace.  Note to all;  this was a 1973 TR6 with the original brake lines.  The inside diameter of the hose had collapsed and I suspect this is deterioration over time, and may well be occurring on similar and older vintages.  If your wheels aren't spinning freely after hard braking, this may be a good spot to consider.

Thanks to all whom contributed.  Problem solved.