My gearbox and overdrive were overhauled 15 months ago and  as belt and braces I drained and renewed the oil a week later. Yesterday I drained the oil again after 6,000 miles with attached results. I was pleased how clean the overdrive filter and magnetic washers were but surprised by the steel swarf on the gearbox drain and filler plugs, is this pretty normal? I never had magnetic plugs before so was probably in blissful ignorance of far more bits and pieces floating around in the past!

Incidentally, after the overhaul I filled with Millers Classic Gearbox Oil EP80w90 GL4, recommended for gearboxes with overdrive. When I did the initial drain I noted some frothing in the oil and queried this with Millers. I was told that some aeration from teeth meshing was to be expected, it would not detract from  performance and was nothing to worry about. I saw some slight bubbling on the last drain as well, I never saw this in the past with Penrite Gearbox Oil 40 or a straight SAE40 grade engine oil.

Tim

Gbox filler plug.jpg

Gbox drain plug.jpg

19. 07. 18 Overdrive filter.JPG

19. 07. 18 Odrive drain plug & magnetic washers.JPG

Are there any big bits among the iron filings?

i wouldn’t be concerned about that amount on a first oil change after rebuild. It will produce a bit of small particle debris when bedding in and there may have been a bit left from before the rebuild unless everything was cleaned to death. 

ORS did the work Roger. Had new main shaft and uprated laygear/bearings. During the overhaul they spotted a tiny crack starting to form on the solenoid bracket (502566), which was replaced, no doubt avoiding a future failure and awkward repair. 

Tim

Hi Tim,

I would involve the company who did the overhaul (ORS), firstly for their opinion, but also in case there is still warrenty. The sooner they are involved, the better.

And keep the old oil just in case ORS wwnt’s to see that.

Waldi