Trouble with egnition

I am having trouble turning the key in my 1970 Tr6 - after about 10 minutes of jiggling the key it fires up - I will be exploring fixing it this week - But would like to year if anyone has any other options - I am not hung up on keeping original - would like something easy and modern if possible - thank you for your help - Gary - Montreal Canada. 

hi, i relaced my ignition lock and switch for a Mk3 spitfire switch/key set up and made a bracket for it to fit  the dash just below where my left knee resides. No steering lock, but I like the ease of use. Kept the original to refit if i change my mind. looks something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IGNITION-SWITCH-WITH-BARREL-KEYS-TRIUMPH-SPITFIRE-1963-TO-1972/333137667605?epid=707671547&hash=item4d908d6615:g:QNYAAOSw~OVWugdH

9 hours ago, Wally said:

I am having trouble turning the key in my 1970 Tr6 - after about 10 minutes of jiggling the key it fires up - I will be exploring fixing it this week - But would like to year if anyone has any other options - I am not hung up on keeping original - would like something easy and modern if possible - thank you for your help - Gary - Montreal Canada. 

Gary 

I had a similar problem with my car, although it was a '72 which had the steering lock. It was caused by the fact that I'd had some new keys cut and this were poorly done and had very sharp edges, these in turn roughed up the pins in the lock and made the whole thing refuse to turn. I de burred the key and used some light oil on the key and slowly worked the key in and out of the lock and I was lucky enough to get it to free up.

As your car has the lock in the centre console, so changing it should be easier,  if something simple like that doesn't solve the problem, replacement may be the best option. They are available in the Uk so sure that Roadster factory Etc will stock them https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/switch-ignition-starter-aftermarket-127651z.html

Gary should have said if your having trouble with your Egnition then you need to pull the YOKE out ..............sorry couldn't resist that one so I'm here all week !!:P

Edited by Graham