TR4a propshaft to TR6 gearbox flange

Having converted my 4A to J type overdrive using a TR6 gearbox, I find the front propshaft flange and the gearbox rear flange don't quite line up, very nearly but not quite (yes I've tried rotating it round), any top tips to resolve this? Fitting a TR6 flange to my propshaft?

Much appreciated

David

David - your gearbox probably has a triumph saloon output flange - are you sure your gearbox is a TR6 one and not a saloon one ? A standard TR6 gearbox flange will line up with a 4A propshaft as the flange is the same. If it is a saloon box, you may also find the speedo is inaccurate if the speedo drives have not been changed from those for the 14" wheels on a saloon to the 15" wheel ones for a TR - I take it the gearbox input shaft was a TR one (1.25") as opposed to the saloon one (1") as it would appear you have already fitted the gearbox.

You will need to change your gearbox output flange for a TR one - you could use the one off your old gearbox, or you could remove your current wrong one and redrill it to match the TR spacing 

Cheers  Rich

definitely a 6 box, I know where it came from; the holes line up but the bolts won't go through, although they will go through the gearbox flange on it's own, speedo can be sorted later, it's odd

David - that is strange - the saloon flanges are very obviously a different spacing to the TR ones, so if it nearly fits, it can't be saloon.

Re the speedo, as I understand it, all TR boxes have the same drives because the drives are related to the wheel size, not the gearing. The differences in gearing are covered by different speedos, so you shouldn't have to do anything to your 4A speedo, assuming you haven't changed your diff ratio. 

Doesn't really help I know - I don't think opening up the holes in the flange to get the two to mate is a good idea as I suspect it will cause vibration in your drive train - can you not use the one off your old gearbox?

cheers

Rich