I need to send my TR6 Lucas metering unit for overhaul.  When responding to the question asking about the contents, the Post Office  along with 3 courier companies refused it. The fuel is completely drained and the unit is in a thick poly bag.  I can't detect any smell of petrol.  Has anyone been faced with this problem and found a solution? 

A few months ago I was sending a parcel and the “Youth” behind the PO counter said:
“What’s in the parcel?”

I said:
“A Sony Walkman”

I was expecting the next question to be “Have you taken the batteries out?” but instead he frowned and said:

“What’s a Sony Walkman?”

I said:
“A sort of tape recorder.”

Youth said:
“What’s a tape recorder?”

I replied:
“A musical instrument.”

Youth said:
“Oh, that’s OK.”

I guess that you just need to tell them that it’s something that they understand and will be happy to accept and all will be fine.

Charlie.

Like the boys say, it's just a car part that's all they need to know,

It's not a battery or fluids, which is the stock question.

Wrap it well and send it on its way, I think insurance on basic post is up to £50.

If it's over two kilograms when packed, it's more expensive to send but you get up to £100 insurance as basic and a signature.

Cheers,  

Conrad.

Anything that has been in contact with chemicals be it fuel, oil, acid or else will be refused if they know about it. I recently had a used exhaust manifold shipped here by Revington and they simply labelled it manifold "template". 

Remind me this book (China Road) written by a British journalist who took a China tour at the end of his assignment. Eager to bet on horse racing for fun, he took the bureaucratic file until finally reaching the counter:

- "Hi Sir, I'd like to place a bet on horse X".

-  An offended clerk responded: " Sir, you can't bet ! This is strictly forbidden in China !"

- Well, answered the journalist but what were the hundreds of people before me doing then ?"

- Answer" Sir, you can take a GUESS, but a not a bet "

Edited by Geko

Hi Guys!

Thanks very much for your helpful and humorous replies.  The problem at the local PO was that the owner of the business when told in reply that it was a car part, he asked "what exactly?"  When I replied truthfully, he refused it explaining that, should any PO employee suspect that it had once been in contact with petrol, it would be destroyed, without reference to me.  One of the couriers I approached has a blanket ban on car parts.  I will try again, at a different PO using your advice.

Jim

Hermes seem to take ANYTHING.  I bought 2.5Kg of CAUSTIC SODA CRYSTAL.   The supplier sealed in a plastic bag and stuck the address label on it, no packaging, no box.

It arrived OK, but really it could all have gone anywhere.  The crystals are about 2mm across!

As above. I had 10kg of soda for blasting, packed in a plastic tub inside a cardboard box. The Hermes driver pointed out that he'd left a trail of soda carrying the parcel from the van. I complained to the supplier, who sent a second tub packed exactly the same!

I've sent a lot of car parts through the Royal Mail, and always just described the contents as "car parts", and never been asked for more detail. I did once try to ship a TR4 bumper using Hermes, and they refused it. Presumably they think all car bumpers are fragile pieces of plastic.

Pete

Not TR related but a friend of mine cycled the end to end ( Lands End to John O Groats ). When he

came to get the train home there was no provision for his bike, so he found a role of plastic sheet

in a local farm field & taking the wheels off his bike he made it into a large parcel. Back to the station

with large plastic wrapped parcel . No problem sir we can put your parcel in the guards van. My friend

Stuart was then able to travel home by train ( I think the moral of the story is don't divulge the contents

of your parcel )

Harvey S. Maitland 

Another one:

I bought a can of 5l. Phosphoric acid, 85%, from a UK supplier who shipped it to the Netherlands. Nasty stuff.

The plastic container was thin-walled, and was just pul in plastic bag in a card board box which also was the “light” version.

Waldi

The Dunlop glue that I always recommend and use comes on a carrier in a plastic bag in a box no problem at all. My paint comes on a carrier too along with thinners no problem.

Sturt.

Thanks for your continuing info. When presenting the parcel I was asked what it contained.  Car parts, I replied.  I was then asked "exactly what car parts?" The parcel was then rejected. I presented the parcel at a different PO. I wasn't even asked what was in it. So I paid up and went home a happy but confused chappie!  The Hermes website includes car parts on their Prohibited list!

I have at least learned how to send parts in future.

Thanks again!

Jim

16 hours ago, JJohn said:

Thanks for your continuing info. When presenting the parcel I was asked what it contained.  Car parts, I replied.  I was then asked "exactly what car parts?" The parcel was then rejected. I presented the parcel at a different PO. I wasn't even asked what was in it. So I paid up and went home a happy but confused chappie!  The Hermes website includes car parts on their Prohibited list!

I have at least learned how to send parts in future.

Thanks again!

Jim

FWIW Hermes are the worst for customer service as well.

Stuart.

Hi Jim, I am pleased that you have resolved the problem, I bet the people that are refurbing your metering unit, don't have any problems  !

My post office are so used to me now, I have even got them interested in Triumphs !  And they ask with great pleasure about what it is, especially if it's an odd shaped parcel....

I see that you are a Rugby Union Man, I have just returned from Sunday Morning Training, it was hot work  !

Have fun, 

Conrad.

Hi Conrad,

Sad to say that I am way past the age at which rugby playing is possible.  I lived in Gloucestershire for 12 years and became an ardent Cherry & White supporter (still am) with a season ticket.  There's nowhere with an atmosphere to compare with Kingsholm, especially under floodlights - magic! C'mon GLOS!  As I am  a Scot, you can probably take a fairly good guess at my international loyalties.  See you!

The company carrying out the work, when asked about the parcel contents answer "Car Parts" and there is no problem.  It appears typical of the lack of consistency with most things in this country.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Jim

Hi Jim, I played at Kingsholm in the days of Blakeway, John Fidler and his mates, I was playing for Nottingham at the time in the eighties,, I scored the first try of the game and was booed by the Shed......we ended up losing after a good battle.

Conrad.

I bought a replacement lithium battery for my computer, but the computer wouldn't reboot with that battery in it ..even with the power lead in,  so the supplier  'Just Laptops'  offered to take it back for a full refund.  Ok, great., but as I don't have a printer for the prepaid label - I suitably wrapped the battery up and took it to the post office, prepared to pay the postage myself.  They wouldn't accept it on it's own.   I was advised that if the same battery had been in a  computer then it would have been OK, but not on its own.  

Further explanation (from the helpful lady counter clerk) was that the post office use aircraft for post (even in-land UK),  and the potential for explosion or chemical damage / leak however slight was unacceptable.  Despite my parcel only to travel from Ipswich to Surrey  ..so very unlikely to fly with their small-parcel post - I guess the post office have a cover all circumstances ruling  to protect their staff.   As a matter of personal integrity - I respect that, so I won't lie and say it's something else. 

On explanation,  Just Laptops  then kindly sent me a prepaid label through the post.  I'm guessing some code within this label designates it as being road or rail freight only.  Either because UK couriers don't use Air freight for in-land parcels, or possibly because they are lax in their responsibilities towards their franchises / sub-contracted staff, then their rules are less restrictive.    

And although I'm perfectly prepared to take risks with my own self,  I try and be thoughtful towards others.  However marginal the risk, the Post Office have these policies to protect their staff and equipment, and also other customer's parcels.

Edited by Bfg

Hi Conrad.

For a while during my time as a regular at Kingsholm matches, John Fidler was a respected member of the coaching staff.  His son, Rob, was a lock who was very much respected by the "Glawster" faithful.  As an away team player, you have clearly experienced the opinions of the so called "one eyed" occupants of the Shed. I have witnessed referees blowing their whistle as the result of protestations from the Shed. They are still known as the second ref!

Jim