Hi Mike,

in the perfect world you should only use a tube in a tyre designed for tubes.

many tubeless tyres have ribs moulded on the inner surface. These, apparently, can cause wear etc.

However many many owners use tubes in any tyre whether designed for tubes or not.

Reports of inner tube failure are either non-existent or very thin on the ground.

There are now wire wheels that are sealed and accept the tubeless tyre.

Roger

7 hours ago, mike gos said:

I need to fit a set of tyres to a TR4. I notice a lot of people are fitting Vredestein T Trac2. My car has wire wheels so will need tubes. Will this combination be OK. If not what is recommended in a reasonable price bracket? Many thanks

Just put 4 T Trac2's on my 4A & they appear OK in the dry at least. Very reasonable price from Camskill plus £15 a tyre for fitting & proper balancing @ my nearest fitting location.

I have them on my '4, fitted to Minilookalites and am delighted.  Now had them a few hundred miles. The ride, handling, cornering and stability under breaking etc are all much improved compared to the Fuldas I had before.

[Prior to that I had the Fuldas on wires and changing to Minilookalikes gave a distinct improvement in steering precision and handling. Mind the wires were pretty knackered and wouldn't stay true which is why I changed them].

MIke