TR3a Clutch slave cylinder

I think I need to have a replacement or service the slave cylinder on my 3a.

I did not buy the one fitted and just used the one supplied with the car.

My question is what diameter should the car have as a 1959 one. 7/8 or 1".

Yes, I can measure the one fitted but it may not be correct. I also want to have both repair kit and a replacement available when I start.

What is the original part number?

There has been a lot of talk recently about quality of spare parts and their degradation on a short space of time. Is there a possible issue with the system and modern fluids and being hydroscopic.

from the pics I have seen there seems to be evidence of pitting within the cylinder walls and piston.

I know that mixing fluids can cause breakdown of rubber components and I use Silcon fluid. Yep fully aware of the downsides!!!!!!!

Rod

Edited by Rodbr
changes

Part Numbers from Girling G200 parts book 1962-1972 which lists TR3A as manufactured in 1962. I would say that is TR3B as it gives the discs as 16P type which has the pin type fitting pads as used on later TR4-6, not the early big heavy things (B type solid or split) the TR3-3A and early TR4 had with plate type retaining system for the pads.

Cylinder is Manufactured by Girling so following are Girling part numbers.

Slave cylinder   pt no  64068867  Described as 1" diameter

Slave cylinder seal kit   pt no  SP2487

Bleed Screw   pt no   64470444

Push rod TR3A-4   pt no     64671234

Push rod TR4A  pt no     64674268

I do not have any dimensions for the cylinder bore, nor a sample that is ready to hand to deny the statement in the parts book.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
rename pdf files

Forget the short life new unit and have your old one fitted with a new sleeve by Past Parts ltd. I had a new slave cylinder fitted at the Lincoln IWE and it failed after I left the showground  when I was just past Lincoln. I had to drive all the way  home to the South Coast with no clutch and that included the Dartford Crossing. 

They have overhauled all my hydraulics and it lasts.

Good luck Richard & B.

• 2 weeks later...

HAVE REMOVED AND REPLACED THE SLAVE CYLINDER!!!!!!!!

I eventually got a replacement cylinder that i was able to fit to get me out of the hole I was in.

I then stripped down the one that was fitted. The rubber was chewed and a bit soft. Luckily the bore and piston have survived well and the casting has Girling and a date stamp of 11 62 so it was an original replacement part fitted shortly after the car was new.(within three years).

What I found inside did not inspire confidence the spring was deformed and only one rubber on the piston.

Does anyone have a schematic that shows what should be in there over than what is in the repair kit but also what is not!?????

Rod

Thanks Tom,

I'll clean up original and fit repair kit as the rest is perfect.

I tend to work with the old adage that" if it ain't broke don't fix it"so did not strip down before fitting.

Rod