Hi All

Had a great weekend again at the Glamis transport extravaganza in Angus Scotland.The weather was a little showery on Saturday, however Sunday was clear, warm and sunny.

We had a great turnout with members coming from all corners of Scotland.

Its a shame the register no longer really supports our three big events in Scotland, namely Glamis , Scone and Grantown on Spey. Grantown has been a very important event for us for many years, and attracts members from all over the country. The registers involvement was overseen for many years by the late Highland and Islands group leader Steve Smith. This event raises a lot of money each year for local charities and was so important to Steve that he was there only a few weeks before he died, even though he was very ill. I for one, and many others will continue to support this event with or without the involvement of the register.

https://www.grantown-motormania.co.uk/

So if anyone happens to be in this glorious part of the world during the first weekend in September, do come and say hello.

Regards

Cameron

E7515794-5149-499A-8F77-74F09CD3FB0B.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Rodbr said:

Hmmmm but not entries available!!!!!

Yes, this is a very popular event, however they do have a list you can join to replace cancellations. We all register as soon as it opens and book accommodations for the following year as we leave.

There are 27 Tr’s registered for this years event , most certainly the largest gathering in Scotland this year.

Cameron

Hi Cameron,

Only seems to be one side screen car on the entry list but a lot of more modern stuff. I know that Moffat had to restrict the entry conditions as the list was getting more and more modern.

The Border rally is in it's last year due to lack of volanteers for marshalls.

There is a case for many more cut off dated shows as the term classic changes over time. I.e Morris marina, Allegros and the like. Still one mans classic is another mans plug!

Rod

Grantown on Spey Motormania has become a very popular event on our Scottish events list, due to it being a very relaxing event, plenty to do as the high Street is open and the fantastic roads to experience getting there. Its also a chance to meet up with the Highland group.

Glamis was great the weather on the Sunday was outstanding with large crowds and a lot of interest in the club stand.

Jim

Thanks Jim,I forgot to mention the great drive up there, and not forgetting given the Queen a wave as we pass the royal party on their way to the Braemar games.

Rod the organisers have started controlling the age of cars entering. Thay have started by restricting car register post 2000, I believe this is an ongoing process and could be changed in the future.

Good Afternoon Cameron,

Good to hear that all of the TR Register members who were at Glamis had an enjoyable time, thanks to those who arranged passes and to Drew Scott for taking along the TR Register Scottish TRs gazebo and Feather Flag. It is disappointing that there is a perception that the TR Register is not supporting Glamis, Scone and Grantown, as far as I am aware there has not been requests to support these events, the TR Register would be happy to provide whatever support is required, perhaps you could advise of what support you think would be appropriate.

Whilst there is indeed a large support for the Grantown event, the largest gathering of TRs in Scotland, which you have not mentioned, is at the TR Register Scottish Weekend held in association with the Bo'ness Revival.  It is a real pity that the dates for the TRRSW and Grantown clash, but that is just the nature of things.

It is understandable that Highlands and Islands Group support Grantown, why would members travel to Bo'ness when they have their own local event. The ethos for the TRRSW was to provide a focal event for TR Register members in Scotland who do not necessarily wish to make the journey South to the IWE, ironically there are more members from South of Hadrian's Wall who attend the TRRSW than there are members from Scotland. The TR Register is a broad church with a range of interests, not everyone is solely interested in 'Show' type events such as Grantown, whereas the Bo'ness Revival combines all the aspects of a show event together with Scotland's only historic only Motor Sport event, a look at the Bo'ness Revival Facebook page provides a flavour of the event. 

In the end it all depends on what members want from their chosen event.

Regards,

Cliff

Good evening Cliff

I didn’t mention Bo’ness because I have no interest in promoting your personal project. Just because you give it the title of Tr Register Scottish Weekend doesn’t make it so.Scone or Glamis should have that title, however as I cannot recall seeing you at either of these venues over the last 20 years you are probably not familiar with their suitability 

Regards

Cameron

Hi Cameron 

To clarify things a meeting was held at the beginning of the year organised by Cliff and attended by all the Scottish Group Leaders to discuss the year ahead. If I remember correctly 5 or 6 shows would have an official TR Register presence; Stirling, Thirlstane, Glamis, Biggar, Bo'ness and Scone with different Group Leaders acting as organisers. The controversial venue for the Scottish TR W/E was left open so if anyone thought another venue would be more suitable then it could be changed but no one spoke up so it remained at Bo'ness. There were more TRs at Bo'ness last year than Grantown and this year there are 39 TRs entered  and a further 6 competing at Bo'ness. Grantown is a good event and has a loyal following unfortunately it is on the same weekend as Bo'ness and nothing can be done about that.

Surely it is time to stop bickering about this and go to shows which best suit us and not criticise people who go elsewhere. We are car enthusiasts who enjoy driving and showing our cars and talking to other people about the joys of TR ownership and not whinging about each other. If this continues there will be fewer organisers in Scotland and the TR register will be poorer for it.

Cheers

Richard

Good Evening Cameron,

Thank you for your email, it certainly explains a few things, if I may I would like to respond to your comments.

The TR Register Scottish Weekend is not my personal project, I am at a loss to understand what makes you take such a view and it was not my decision to refer to the Bo'ness event as the Scottish TR Weekend, perhaps the following may be of interest to you and others of a similar view to that of yourself.

I attended the first Bo'ness Revival event in 2008 and met a number of TR Register members who I had not seen for a number of years and we had a good chat about all things TR. I attended the Bo'ness Revival again in 2009 when there were more TR Register members present and discussions turned to the Doune Classic Weekend, which as you may or may not know morphed from the initial TR Register Scottish Weekend in the early 1980's. It was suggested that the TR Register should have some form of presence at the Bo'ness Revival and fool that I am I contacted the then Scottish Co-Ordinator, Steve Craig. I asked Steve if the TR Register would be interested in participating at Bo'ness but the reply was negative as the comment made was that, and I am paraphrasing here, 'We all go to Scone' as the dates clashed. I left the situation at that. The following year Bo'ness had a number of TRs competing in the Hillclimb, together with an even larger number of TR Register members spectating and again the topic of TR Register involvement was raised. Once again I contacted Steve and received a similar response as previously, Scone was the TR Register event of choice. I then mentioned that a substantial number of TR Register members would like to participate at Bo'ness and offered to organise something so that those who wished to go to Scone could do so and those who wished to go to Bo'ness could do so. Unfortunately I did not receive any response to my suggestion so once again I let the situation be.

In 2015 we had a new Club Chairman in Phil Tucker and a new Scottish Co-Ordinator in Alan Gibb and following some discussion it was agreed that the TR Register should have a presence at Bo'ness, with the TR Register Board deciding that the TR presence should be billed as the TR Register Scottish Weekend as a focus event for TR Register members in Scotland. This is where perhaps I made an error as I did not contact the Scottish Group Leaders as my understanding from previous experience was that they did not have any interest in participating at Bo'ness. The resurrected TR Register Scottish Weekend in 2015 was accepted as a success so plans were put in place for 2016, when I contacted all Scottish Group Leaders with a view to making the event a true Scottish event. Unfortunately I did not receive any replies from any of the Scottish Group Leaders which led me to the conclusion that they were not interested in participating. It was a similar story for 2017, by which time Scone had moved it's date to the week following Bo'ness, but now the focus was set on Grantown. I do not know if the Grantown date has always clashed with Bo'ness, or if the Grantown date has changed, but as I mentioned in my previous post I fully appreciate why Highlands and Islands Group would prefer to go to Grantown rather than Bo'ness.

There has been discussion regarding the TR Register Scottish Weekend being held at another venue rather than Bo'ness in that if a proposal is received to stage the event at say Scone or Glamis that would be given consideration, thus far there has not been any alternative venue discussed. At the Scottish Group Leaders meeting in February the topic of the TR Register Scottish Weekend was discussed and once no again no alternative proposal to Bo'ness was raised, with Grantown definitely ruled out. My view is that any member of the TR Register is at liberty to suggest an alternative venue for the TR Register Scottish Weekend so if you believe it should be held at Glamis or Scone perhaps you could submit your proposals, I would be happy to assist in any way and provide a list of activities required for organising an event, as opposed to arranging for passes to be handed out.

Personally, static 'Show' events are not my preferred way of enjoying my TR, I much prefer driving my TR competitively, which is why you have not seen me at Scone. I have however arranged for Passes at Stirling and attended Thirlestane where I have not seen yourself.  As you may or may not know, I have made the suggestion of a TR Register@50 celebration to be held in 2020 well away from the Bo'ness and Grantown dates to all of the Scottish Group Leaders and their notional deputies, thus far I have received two positive responses, neither of which are from Group Leaders which to my mind tells a story.

Regards,

Cliff

Good evening Cliff

Sorry for the delay in responding, been a busy day.

Thank you for the above explanation and history of the varies events we all have the opportunity to attend each year.The one theme that seems to run through your explanation is the perceived lack of cooperation from the various local group leaders and other members.I wonder if you have ever asked yourself why this should be, after all we are talking about a reasonable number of individuals.I would suggest that you have inadvertently “ rubbed some people up the wrong way”.

The feeling I have and I’m sure many other have, if that your main focus is always on Bo’ness.This thread is a case in point.I simply started this to tell members that we had a successful weekend at Glamis and also took the opportunity to mention Grantown. I’m sure you would agree there was nothing wrong in doing this, as you said,different events suit different individuals,.Up until that time you had not joined the forum, so I can only surmise that my promoting an event that clashes with Bo’ness was pointed out to you, and you felt strongly enough about it that you joined the forum to make sure Bo’ness was promoted. Odd behaviour, to say the least.

I will finish with some good news for you. I’ve learned my lesson and will not make the same mistake again.Ive asked to be removed from the forum so you can relax no more posts from me, it’s just worth it.

I hope you have a very successful Bo’ness with the all important good weather.

Best Regard

Cameron