Door locks (TR4A)

Hi Neil,

exactly what do you need.

Moss do most parts  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/body-chassis/doors-fittings/doors-fittings-tr4-4a.html

The barrels are available but you have to buy a complete set.

I have a some parts that your are welcome to if I know what you need.

TRGB, TR TRafers, TRBitz etc  do plenty of second hand parts.

Roger

3 hours ago, tthomson said:

Yes I have a TR4A handle with all the bits (including a key), but I don't know if it is RH or LH. However, I have all the parts that set the handle either way.

Kind regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

on the handle back plate there is NS and OS cast into the ali plate.

Roger

You are not stupid Tony (anything but) - it's the use of antiquated terminology that is daft and misleading.

Surely, Near Side (NS) in the UK must be Off Side (OS) in countries where vehicles drive on the right?

The only logical and unambiguous system is to use the terms Left and Right, as viewed from the driver's seat facing forward (which is the way I prefer to drive).

Ian Cornish

Roger and Tom,

Thanks very much for your responses. Apologies for the delay in responding to you, but we have our daughter and new granddaughter staying with us plus I've been doing a couple of airport runs, so my wife tells me that TR things are not high on the agenda, if you know what I mean…….  but now I've sneaked to the computer !

It's not the external door handles and locks that I have a problem with. My issue is with the LH door securing mechanism. I'll try and describe it.

There is an assembly covered by an external plate fitted into the end panel of the door at the B post end. The assembly is variously called a 'door latch assembly' in the Rimmers catalogue. A 'rotary lock (LH or RH)' in the Moss catalogue, and a 'door restraint' in the workshop manual. The external plate covers the assembly ( push fit into the panel  - not a very good one). There is a spindle protruding from the assemble on the end of which is a cog which rolls onto the striker plate on the B post and secures the door.  Released via a horizontal (ish) rod to the internal door handle and a vertical lever to the push button on the external door handle. I hope this makes sense?

Briefly I was at an event a week or so ago. I opened the passenger door OK but could not get it to fasten shut again. After removing the plate there was nothing immediately amiss.  I had to hold the door closed with a bungee wrapped around the external handle and the seat frame to get home. Stupidly I did not re-fit the plate before driving home and when I got there, hey presto, no cog ! The assembley is NCA with Moss and Rimmers.  I've tried the TRGB web-site but not phoned them yet, or the other potential suppliers you mentioned Roger. I'll try them in the morning.

John

Neil - I was going to suggest try Conrad but felt sure I've seen one on ebay - if this is what you are after  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Tr4-and-4A-Os-Door-Latch/223588323931?hash=item340ee7125b:g:je0AAOSwvdFcM7HL

guess what- it's Conrad selling it ! - if you want his contact details, let me know

cheers

Rich

On 7/16/2019 at 11:09 AM, Neil J said:

Can anyone help with where I may be able to get a (TR4A) LH door lock assembly please? 

Many thanks in anticipation,

John

John requires a nearside (RHD) door lock. The above ebay link is for Offside.

I'm sure Conrad will have the other side somewhere.

Roger

22 hours ago, RogerH said:

...no -   they have left and right.

Roger

And port and starboard, but their navigational buoyage system is back to front!

David

Guys,

Attached are some photos of my defunct LH door lock. The first is the door lock mechanism, minus the cog that dropped off. The next two are of the plate that fits over that (outside and inside view). The next, the  RH lock (drivers door) with the cog and plate in place, and finally the LH door lock mechanism looking rearwards from the inside of the door.

(a) Looking at the W/S manual there is no obvious view of the covering plate being a separate item, or if it is, how it's meant to be secured other than a push fit which is not very secure! Neither  does my setup look like the one that Conrad is selling on EBay (that's for a RH door of course but looks like a one piece ).

(b) how is the cog supposed to be secures on the spindle? There is a groove around the circumference of the spindle where a circlip might fit? Again, nothing in the W/S manual to suggest this.

(c) Have I got a set-up from something else, TR5 or 250 perhaps?

John

IMG_20190721_153902296.jpg

IMG_20190721_153940772.jpg

IMG_20190721_153956877.jpg

IMG_20190721_154127317.jpg

IMG_20190721_155823285.jpg

They are riveted. Drilled the rivet out, replaced with a half-threaded bolt; ground the head of the bolt and left few threads at the back to fit a nut which is kept loose but locked with thread locker. It can be soldered too. It's been there for a decade.

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-22 at 00.32.55.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-22 at 00.32.56.jpeg

Edited by Geko
add

Stef,

Thanks. If I can source another cog I'll try that,  Looking at your photo's and comparing them with my working lock, it would seem that a PO has done the same on the drivers door lock.  

I'll just need to find another cog, if not then try and find a complete second hand lock. Thanks for your response.

John

Hi Roger,

Yes thank you.  I got through to TRBitz and they've managed to find a re-con LH door lock for me. Took a couple of days of rummaging but it's on it's way and I expect that it'll be here, in deepest darkest France, next week.. Thanks for your help, and thanks too to all the others that responded as well..

Best wishes,

John

• 2 years later...
On 7/17/2019 at 1:19 PM, ianc said:

You are not stupid Tony (anything but) - it's the use of antiquated terminology that is daft and misleading.

Surely, Near Side (NS) in the UK must be Off Side (OS) in countries where vehicles drive on the right?

The only logical and unambiguous system is to use the terms Left and Right, as viewed from the driver's seat facing forward (which is the way I prefer to drive).

Ian Cornish

I was double checking I had this right before final fit of door handles, and Rogers reminder that NS & OS are stamped on the castings; however having an ex USA car I wondered whether NS & OS would still be the same. My research would suggest the NS & OS remain the same either way, on a RHD car NS is the passenger side, on a LHD car NS is the drivers side (ie it doesn't change), anyone disagree?

David