So how do I go about getting myself a properly adjusted main beam?

I ended up driving my 6 down a country lane in the dark for the first time last night...and what an experience that was!

The car passed an MOT last year and on dip beam although not brilliant the lamps do point down at the road in what appears to be roughly the same height for both beams

main beam seems to be a different story though...looked to me like one was pointing away from the road and too high....Is this possible or just my imagination?

Is there an easy way to check this using a garage door rather than paying a garage with all the kit? If so how do you do it plus how to the adjusters work on the lights?

Many thanks

Can you get the headlamp rims off? do you have a screwdriver? Are the two adjusters on each lamp that are at the top and to one side of the front outer edge of the lamp operative?  If so can do it yourself.

My local car park has a nice flat surface and a 5 foot high wall at its edge.  I drive to the wall at right angles, mark the centres of the lamps on the wall with chalk, reverse away from the wall about a cars length, remaining at 90 degrees to the wall and adjust one lamp at a time ( throw a blanket over the lamp not being adjusted so you get a decent idea of what each lamp is illuminating).

Here is a how to hint that gives an idea of my above explanation  https://www.wikihow.com/Adjust-Car-Headlights

Cheers

Peter W

PS We who use the cars a lot have gone over to halogen or LED replacement headlamps to gain lighting improvements

PPS I have a pair of these for sale if interested -  There is a TR6 around with a pair fitted, they just look odd on a TR3.  They do not have 'e' marks and are negative earth only (same as TR6)  The light output is stunning, very wide on dip, intense on main. no sharp cut-offs like moderns though.  I'll accept the price of a pair of LED headlamp bulbs for them plus postage (£75.00)

https://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/land-rover-defender-led-headlamps-headlight-upgrade-lhd-trucklite-phaser-7/

Here is Lebro's thread on the LED replacements 

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Jogger,

assuming you have the standard bulbs fitted.

There are three adjuster per headlight. These are behind the outer rim.

With the lights on 'dip beam'.    Stand in front of the near side light. Bend down until you see the upper half of the reflector illuminated and the lower half less so - it is quite obvious.

You want the beam to fall on the road and not get the beam anywhere near  horizontal

If this needs moving then use one or more adjusters to get there.

Repeat on the off side.

Switch to 'Main beam'. Again stand in front of the near side. Bend down until you see a full round glow. Draw a line from the light through your eye to where ever - this should point slight toward the kerb and slightly upward.

Do similar to the off side - adjust the light to point forward and slightly up.

Roger

The most difficult bit is getting the chrome headlamp trims off and on.  Easy-ish if they are the screw-fit type but a bit more fiddly if they are the clip-on type.

For my TR6 this was not just a simple case of adjustment.

Firstly I bought some Ciebe / Valeo headlamp lenses 471930011 from Europarts - often on special offer. Lens design has changed a lot over the years and these provide a concentrated beam with little peripheral scatter (waste) of light. The look and fit well into the car and fit the chrome trims. These recommended to me on other TRR forum threads.

I fitted relays to the lights as any voltage loss from an old light switch is not beneficial.

My TR6 on the original loom has the lights earthed to a front loom wire which terminated on body panels. I ran an additional heavy earth wire from this loom to the cars central loom (gauges and such) and back to the rear lights / fuel pump and connected into the battery earth braid. As a minimum connect additional earth between battery earth braid to front (Black) earth loom.

I had my lights aligned at the garage where I get the car MOT'd. They did not charge (take the rims off first!!) and took less than five minutes.

I am using the original bulbs before I did the above mods and the lights are so much better.  No increase  in bulb wattage just pointing available light where it is needed.

I am sure LEDs would be even brighter but I did not need after the above.

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams