Rear indicator query

Hi Folks

So, my new loom is in and working. No bangs, explosions or smoke . . . so far!

I have a couple of small things to rectify, but otherwise all good.

One thing I need to ask is this. On the rear lights (UK), should the side repeater indicators have a bulb in them? The reason I ask is that my old loom had extra wires for this (that look like they were added later, not part of the loom), but my new loom doesn't have these, although it does have extra normal rear light (red) wires (as if for US version). Just wondered whether for the UK there was no bulbs in the side markers.

I have emailed Autosparks to ask the question too.

Thanks

Rog

3 minutes ago, Waldi said:

I think that is only for US cars.

Waldi

Hi Waldi

The US version had red side markers and they were set to light with the side lights. UK and Europe (I think) had amber side lenses but my query is whether they should light with the indicators.

It seems not.

Thanks

Rog

Aha Rog,

according to the wiring diagram for a RHD car they should not be fitted.

Cheers,

Waldi

Its a good idea to loop them off the indicators and fit a couple of bulb holders in there though.

Stuart.

I agree with Stewart - my CP didn't have them originally, but a PO fitted them - an easy job and every little helps on today's busy roads!  Rimmers do the bulb holder AEU1745 and I'm sure others do.

Cheers

Steve

Hi My 72 CP TR6 has the side repeaters. I’m sure I have the original loom in place, it’s not pretty if you see what I mean! 

Thanks All

I've just pieced back together the old loom and it appears that a PO has cut the indicator wires and added bullet connectors and a double black block (does that make sense?). It looks quite neat. I've got the old bulbs and holders so I'll set about doing it. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Looking at the comments above maybe Triumph added the repeaters at the start of the CR Series and some people with CP Series did the conversion.

Rog

My '70 CP had been fitted with US spec red lenses and had been connected up via the rear lights red wire to be a side marker.

I prefer amber but decided to keep the bulbs in and put them on the indicator wires, if you have an original bi metallic relay, the indicators will flash at a faster rate, before they were slightly slower than a modern car, now just slightly faster than. 

Gareth

2 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

My '70 CP had been fitted with US spec red lenses and had been connected up via the rear lights red wire to be a side marker.

I prefer amber but decided to keep the bulbs in and put them on the indicator wires, if you have an original bi metallic relay, the indicators will flash at a faster rate, before they were slightly slower than a modern car, now just slightly faster than. 

Gareth

An electronic flasher will maintain a constant flash rate.

Stuart.

32 minutes ago, Gordon Bayley said:

Hi Roger ,if you need any help or to have a look at my car for reference ,give me a call ,Gordon

Thanks Gordon - but you wouldn't know which car to come in! ;)

Hi Pogo I don’t believe UK cars ever came with rear Orange side indicators as standard, probably Triumph were to mean to fit them, they even may have had bean counters in those days, and needed to save money.

I rewired my 1975 US TR6 already converted to right hand drive with a UK loom.

I can’t recall how I spurred the wire to the side indicator, but I DID not cut the new loom.

I think I soldered piggy back connectors together then plugged in the new loom and side supply, I also think the side-light/indicator bulb holder spade fitting is smaller than the rear indicator.

I am so fussy I even stripped the old loom to use the correct wire colours for the very short spur, Green Orange left, Green White right.

I did not need bulb holders, my US car already had them fitted as Red side-lights, all I needed to buy was Orange side lenses.

I think it is always good to fit the side indicator lights in and helps with the muppets out there who just do not see us.Same with rear LEDS. My personal choice is  the rear Litezupp ones and I have tried a few different manufacturers and found these way, way the best. (no vested interest)

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

Stating the obvious (perhaps?) but it is worth bearing in mind that having them fitted but not working is an MOT failure and could lead to accusations of the car not being road worthy.

This would probably only be an issue with a Traffic Officer (are there any left?) or in the event of an accident when the other party could claim your indicators were not working.