Just a 'heads up' to anyone considering replacing the rigid clutch pipe that runs from the master cylinder to the flexible pipe than in turn runs to the slave cylinder on a LHD car. It's about 4 inches shorter than the original which means that it's a very tight fit which would cause an issue when the engine is running - pipe run is already straining whilst stationary. Also, the run passes right across the original oil filter bowl which would necessitate clutch pipe removal and re-connection each time the oil filter was changed. The pipe also runs tightly across the fuel pump primer lever.

I've spoken to Rimmer Brothers, who offered a refund, but I'd have to pay for another postage to get it back to them  (so, I shan't bother).  The old pipe is pretty poor condition so I'm not too keen on refitting that.

One thing that does help a bit is inverting the slave cylinder - that gives a small amount of slack, and I can't see that causing a problem. Still going to be a struggle getting the oil filter bowl off. I can foresee the purchase of a Spin On filter conversion once the bank balance has recovered!

Edited by rogerowen
Forgot to add pictures
7 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Roger,

Moss do a LHD pipe - it suggests it is for a TR4.

Or use a RHD pipe and cut to size.

If you invert the slave cylinder you may havew trouble bleeding it.

Roger 

Thanks Roger - yes, the bleeding is my worry - will just have to give it a try and see if it works OK. And yes, the RHD version of the pipe is considerably longer than the LHD one. 

Roger, I measured the pipe on my LHD Tr4a, (as best I could with the pipe bends) and it’s roughly 22 inches long (about 56 cm). I then have it connected to a braided hose to the slave cylinder. The total run fits fine, even with a lazy bend in the braided line. I bought both hoses from TRF. I hope the picture is clear enough to see there’s plenty of space around the oil filter, and you can just see the braided pipe fitting to the slave cylinder below.

Jim

C33BBE89-0452-4D59-B1F6-7DEF2DD1EE55.thumb.jpeg.a2c26d435af461f7f1c6f31f87c4a13f.jpeg

Better still measure the original and either make up your own with brass ends from Automec or if you cant then get them to make you one up that way you know it will be right.https://automec.co.uk/

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
4 hours ago, Tr4aJim said:

Roger, I measured the pipe on my LHD Tr4a, (as best I could with the pipe bends) and it’s roughly 22 inches long (about 56 cm). I then have it connected to a braided hose to the slave cylinder. The total run fits fine, even with a lazy bend in the braided line. I bought both hoses from TRF. I hope the picture is clear enough to see there’s plenty of space around the oil filter, and you can just see the braided pipe fitting to the slave cylinder below.

Jim

C33BBE89-0452-4D59-B1F6-7DEF2DD1EE55.thumb.jpeg.a2c26d435af461f7f1c6f31f87c4a13f.jpeg

Thanks Jim, your pipe certainly looks longer than mine and I see you've managed to fit it into the clip on the bulk head - I've got the brake pipe going there! And it looks like you have a spin on filter which is probably shorter than the original. Very clean looking set up - will not post a photo of mine - Ha,ha.

53 minutes ago, stuart said:

Better still measure the original and either make up your own with brass ends from Automec or if you cant then get them to make you one up that way you know it will be right.https://automec.co.uk/

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, I've actually got the Automec connectors, so will just need to get some pipe locally.

3 hours ago, Geko said:

Just fit a longer braided hose: Problem sorted and good upgrade.

I got the braided pipe from Rimmers, it's the rigid pipe that's a bit too short. i'll just make up a new one and hope I get the flares right!