What does the team think?

Given that the reputation of repro brake cylinders and master cylinders is not good.

Does the team think it would be worth using a set of small honing stones to sort the internal bore rather than use as is?

Answers on a postcard please.

Rod

reat

I have seen a new repro master cylinder that was bigger than the OE bore stock size (0.750"), and that was also oval.

I am unsure if honing something with those discrepancies would make good.

Cheers

Peter W

I'm sure there is a company that 're sleeves' originals but can't for the life of me remember who it is !! sure somebody will be along shortly to advise 

I know who it is (Past Parts) but baulk at over £100 to re-sleeve something that should work out of the box.

Hi peter,

I get what you are saying but perhaps honing an original has merit.

Seems to me logical to check the originals first for corrosion, scoring and wear.   That ought to answer whether its feasible to reuse with new seals or whether you need to go shopping.  I had to replace the seals in the master cylinder of my '74 Citroen Ami-super, and did that without needing to hone the bore.  My bigger concern finding rubber parts for this odd-ball car which weren't also 45 years old.!   

Brake cylinders and master cylinders on most Brit cars were almost certainly a universal item ..used on a variety of different marques / models.  So new-old-stock may still be an option, if you just know where to look.