Sticky hardened cam followers

New hardened cam followers are a bit sticky to my liking especially one but nothing that warrants machining, so what's the best implement for rubbing those? I have anything ranging from mild silver polish cream to car compound and grinding paste....

I found the same and used fine 1200 grit emery paper with 3 in 1 oil, seemed to do the trick eventually and allowed the followers to rotate in their bores

Tim

I had one that was a bit tighter than the rest too.

With a micrometer I was able to measure at half increments, so 0,005 mm, and select the smallest/largest. I did this out of curiosity, they were all within 0.01 mm but had slight differences.

In the end I did not swap followers, but grinded the sticky one and it’s bore a bit with very fine sandpaper because both my followers and camshaft were ok and I number-matched both.

So if you re-use your camshaft and followers I would not swap followers.

I you do grind, make sure to remove the dirt with a good cleaner and a white rag, as the sand paper particles will wear out your engine if not properly removed. Same for honing the cilinder bores.

Waldi