Hi Guys, I'm having problems with the clutch not clearing but only after a good run say half an hour when everything is good and warm, it becomes impossible to select 1st or reverse with engine running (crunching gears),  the clutch works perfectly other times (albeit a little heavy). The pushrod is in the middle hole and the clutch is operating smoothly with no juddering. I can select 2nd or any other gear when hot without crunching which means the syncro's are stopping the gears turning.  I'm thinking possibly the centre plate binding on the splines of first motion shaft, or the spigot bush in the flywheel binding on the same shaft.  I might try a thicker oil as I'm using penrite gearbox oil 30.  Any other ideas welcome before I pull the box.  Cheers, Bill.

Yes- wear on the clutch plate should make it easier to dis-engage, not harder - though perhaps if the fingers on the clutch cover are badly worn the clearances would be bigger.  With luck its either the the push-rod adjustment is wrong as Peter suggests, or else the hydraulics may be faulty and not giving full operating stroke on the slave.  Is the flexy-hose in good nick?

Worst case it could be the dreaded broken taper-pin but that would probably be all the time rather than just when hot.

1 hour ago, Tony_C said:

Briefly slot  into 2nd (gear) before engaging first and reverse.... should work a treat and good practice anyway on the side screen box; correct Z320, no synchro on 1st and R

+1  always have done this.

Bob

Thanks for all the suggestions,  unfortunately for me I have tried all the above previously,  Pushrod adjustment is fine,  going into 2nd then reverse has no effect (keeping clutch depressed whilst selecting gear).  Clutch works perfectly when cold, and for about 20 miles ish, which to me rules out hydraulics or adjustment, have checked clevis pins and holes for elongation, all fine, Start car from cold, straight into reverse no problem. Only when really warmed up after long run it crunches. This brings me back to my first post, when warmed up and due to expansion either the centre plate is binding slightly on the splines of the first motion shaft, it's either sticking slightly to the pressure plate or flywheel, or possibly the spigot bush is binding slightly on the FMS.  Any thoughts or previous experience of this welcome.  Cheers, Bill.

It may be a dumb question but have you checked that the clutch return spring is still in place. I had one break and the symptoms were similar to yours. Item 85. https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/clutch-systems/girling-clutch-hydraulics-tr3-from-c-ts13046.html

Mick

2 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

It may be a dumb question but have you checked that the clutch return spring is still in place. I had one break and the symptoms were similar to yours. Item 85. https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/clutch-systems/girling-clutch-hydraulics-tr3-from-c-ts13046.html

Mick

+1. Had that one.

10 hours ago, Tony_C said:

Hi John, - you up late enjoying the cricket?

Haha. I am immune to such jibes. I was in the UK in 2013 and attended the test at Chester le Street where we got flogged but my son, then living in England, and I had a great time at the ground. The atmosphere was fantastic. We lost that series 5 nil, then we found the right attitude and were on a winning streak.

I pity our rugby even more, totally lost their way.

Ha, I’ve been to many of the test grounds (even MCG) but not Durham, always looks fantastic very picturesque next to the castle; that was where Shane Warne got spooked by a ghost

The ashes are always special.. would be good if we can now carry this form throughout?!