Today I broke down,  I went for a drive with tors,  ice cream etc,   driving progressively along the militarty road, all of a sudden car start running rough, then stops completely, 

Thought, cant believe this,  just got back from Germany, 1200 miles, no probs, then this,  so I had a check round and come to the conclusion it was the coil, baught a flame thrower a few years ago, sapose to be the dogs,  only done about 6000 miles, so I was reluctant to find fault with it,  I waited for it to cool down,  still the car would not start, got it back home fitted an old coil and the car started and run without a problem,  so much for flame throwers,  so what shell I buy now?

Pink 

Flame thrower 

Hi Pinky, 

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

I've used flamethrower coils on my TR6 and GT6 for years, never had a problem. Have you got the correct impedance? If your car has a ballast resistor, it needs the 1.5 ohm version. Without a ballast resistor, it should be the 3 ohm type.

Nigel

Pink,

Flamethrowers are good for 15T - 30T Miles. When installed correctly. Mine had a 1.5 Ohm resistance.  Normally you add another 1.5 ballast resistor to it. But not with a 123 ignition distributor. So your failure could be caused by something else. 

I drive a modern wasted spark...might wann try that. 

Jochem

Bad luck Pinks, fault could been overheated  (unlikely today though), sometimes they just fall over.

I run one of a pair, mounted jointly on the wing, less vibration, less heat. I rotate through them on a regular basis, so you always have a spare and you know it works ! :ph34r:

Hello and apologies from a register member for not stopping to help, I was driving along the military road in the family car when the family shouted out tr6 and I was just happy to see one and reconised your car from the forum, had not realised you had broken down or would have stopped.

Hope got home and sorted ok

Apologies again Richard

Thank you for your replies,  

Thank you richard, you have been removed from my christmas list,  seriously, new what the problem was nit much you could have done,  would have been nice to say hello,

Hi Mike, hows things good idea  going to do that 

Hi jochem, never heard of that could you give me some more information please 

Hi nigel,  think this could be the problem wrong coil , I will take a pick today and post it 

Thank you for your help gentleman 

Pink

3 hours ago, pinky said:

Hi jochem, never heard of that could you give me some more information please 

wasted spark coils are commonly used on EFI systems but you can also install them on PI or carburator systems but in combinaton with for example the Megajolt system. The distributor is removed and the system gets its trigger signal from the crankshaft. These wasted spark coils have about 0,6 ohm resistance and are used on all modern cars.

Jochem