I am thinking of changing the engine mounts on my 1962 TR4. The current mounts are round and standard thickness, I note that Moss supply a thinner mount 0.75", is there any problem fitting these. I think the engine is sometimes catching the bonnet?

Is your TR4 a very early 1962, as in a short bulge bonnet?

There was a factory addition "stay" to reduce movement of the engine,
although I don't think any of the suppliers make it.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

The oblong ones are interchangeable. ( so says revington) 

i fitted the up rated ones to my 3a and it stopped excessive engine rocking. 

The factory dampener was fitted very low so I added a dampener higher up on the block. The most effective and simplest mod I've ever made on the TR. 

dampener.jpg

Edited by Geko
add
3 hours ago, JT1962 said:

I am thinking of changing the engine mounts on my 1962 TR4. The current mounts are round and standard thickness, I note that Moss supply a thinner mount 0.75", is there any problem fitting these. I think the engine is sometimes catching the bonnet?

Thinner mounts will mean the fan extension could end up touching the steering rack, let alone having fun changing the fan belt.

Cheers

Peter W

1 hour ago, JT1962 said:

the commission number is CT 626xx O and the car is fitted with a long bulge bonnet.

It currently has a TS engine fitted.  Is this any help!

OK, so long bulge bonnet should give enough clearance.

What about carbs and inlet manifold - standard?
Or maybe HS6s and/or TR4A style inlet manifold?
Not sure if the designed angles would affect clearance.

Same with the TS engine - does it have a TR4 front plate or
does it have a TR3 front plate? I'm not sure if this would
cause the engine to sit slightly higher, or not.

AlanR

It will fit, just, but the engine will sit low and the mounts will need to be stretched to fit.  I know this from unintended experience. 

Edited by peejay4A

Many years ago, I devised an engine restraint which is suitable for TR4/4A.  It was described in TR Action 130 and can be found on pages G15-G19 of the Technicalities CD.

Compared with Geko's, mine is somewhat crude, but it is dirt cheap and does not impose loading into the bodywork - the push/pull is fed into the mounting of the cross tube.

Because the sidescreen cars are narrower, my device is unsuitable for these cars because the angle would be wrong.

Ian Cornish

On 7/8/2019 at 2:10 PM, Geko said:

The factory dampener was fitted very low so I added a dampener higher up on the block. The most effective and simplest mod I've ever made on the TR

Geko:

Is that the NRG damper?  What are the benefits? Did you use additional brackets as reinforcement?

3 hours ago, Andy303 said:

Geko:

Is that the NRG damper?  What are the benefits? Did you use additional brackets as reinforcement?

Same though different brand. Benefits are preventing engine sway, stability at idle and preserving the engine mounts which are way below the engine's center of gravity. The driving experience feels a lot more "cohesive" so to speak. I used only the small bracket which matches exactly the shape of and existing holes on the inner wing brackets.

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 3.38.49 AM.png

Edited by Geko
add