Door window inners

there are three jobs on a TR6 I REALLY struggle with:

• first is the pin on door handles.
  • Second is the outer rubber on the window
  • Third is the inner felt strip on the window.

I have, with enormous amounts of blasphemy managed no1 and no2.  No3 looks at me . . menacingly, mockingly and teasingly and as its vacation time I have decided again to take on the assault, or as Shakey would say, once more into the breach...

So door cards are fitted and and the outer rubbers, plus I have every clip going.  Please, any suggestions on making this task that bit easier?

Thanks

Rich

Edited by AarhusTr6

Unfortunately you have done this the wrong way round as you need the door cards off and the lower window stop removed so the glass can be wound all the way to the bottom of the door to give you clearance to make it easier to fit the clips.To fit the inners the clips go on the door then the strip should just clip into the "U" part of the clip. check the length of the strip as sometimes they are too long and must be trimmed. To fit the clips easily you really need the tool.

Stuart.

:-)

Well the door cards have a few screws rather than those spring clips so taking that off is not the issue . . but . . the door handles. . oh no . . . .I need a drink...

Rich,

Don't despair!  Assuming you have, or have fashioned a clip supporting tool, slacken off forward and rear upper glass guides to give a little room.  Then the trick is to place a clip on the tool, then pull up onto the door flange, and while supporting the clip by the tool push the inner seal down into the clip.  Hopefully you have a few spare clips in case you drop them inside.  At least it’s a nice clean job, and you are not underneath!

Rich

I found that the best way to fit the handle pins is to throw them away, then taking a wire clothes hanger, straighten it out, cut half way through about 15 mm from the end (just about the length of the pin). Then get the springs, handle, and plastic plate all in place, push it all in and put your part cut end of coat hanger through the holes and wiggle untill it breaks off.

Job done with minimal hassle 

George 

I dont know why people have so much problem with these pins, Ive probably done this a lot more times than any of you and a long thin screw driver and a pair of thin long nose pliers job done.

Stuart.

And beware of modern repro door handles- many have the hole in the wrong position - making it virtually impossible to fit the original backing plate and still have enough handle length to fit the pin.

3 hours ago, stuart said:

I dont know why people have so much problem with these pins, Ive probably done this a lot more times
than any of you and a long thin screw driver and a pair of thin long nose pliers job done.
Stuart.

I've done it this way - a real fiddle and some springs seem stronger than others.

But - much much easier with the special tool.  I'll try to find it and add a photo.

(there is also a special tool to fit the seal strips - I'll try to find and photo that too)

AlanR

I need to replace the window outer rubbers on mine. In fact one of mine is completely missing and the window rattles around when up.

What is this mythical tool spoken about? :-)

I guess if my name is Peter I'd be known as Peter no Tool?

If anyone has one they'd be be prepared to loan I'd be more than happy to make a contribution towards the cpost of the original as I suspect if I buy one I will only use it once for this job

Peter no Tool,

Hi, I just fashioned a tool out of a old 2" jubilee clip. I undid fully, opened it up till straight and then bent the end up into a u shape so that it holds the clip. There are markings on the trim for the positions of the clips. Lower clip on tool into door and pull up.

Regards,

Vince.

I made my own about 30 yrs ago from a strip of 3mm steel, unfortunately I lent it to someone a while ago and it never re-appeared.

Stuart.

You don't need to make anything just stick the pin in a piece of plastic tubing that just holds the pin then you can just release the spring then pull the tubing off

Then push the pin home with a small screwdriver, Simples.  If you want a bit of tubing I'll bring some to the International

Cheers

Dave.

4 hours ago, stuart said:

I made my own about 30 yrs ago from a strip of 3mm steel, unfortunately I lent it to someone a while ago and it never re-appeared.

Stuart.

Bu**ers!!

What is it they say "Neither a borrower nor a Lender be.........."

Aside from that though, Stuart, can I borrow your....... :D

Had to do one of mine recently, when a window regulator packed up!  (Anyone got a good drivers side regulator for sale?? mine is still not right!!)

Lost one of the pins onto my pea shingle drive :angry:, so made a replacement from some 3.2mm Diameter welding electrode .... Lovely!!

Then fitted it using a 'tubing' method very similar to Dave IoW.

Holding the spring and finisher back is the hard bit!

I don't know if you have vinyl siding on houses in the UK but in the US we do. There is a tool designed to remove it without damage available at hardware stores, About $6 and works well. I straightened  mine out and magnetized it, works well although the job is still annoying.

Bill

malco-siding-tools-hardware-srt2-64_1000.jpg

On 7/10/2019 at 6:28 PM, John Bracher said:

Lost one of the pins onto my pea shingle drive :angry:, so made a replacement from some 3.2mm Diameter welding electrode .... Lovely!!

Hi John,

I have a giant horse shoe magnet that is used too often to find lost steel parts of the car.

Just drag it over the area and await collection.

Roger

On 7/10/2019 at 12:48 PM, John L said:

£20.50 plus P&P I presume ..for that ! ?

Thank you John for showing us what this tool looks like.  A picture surely does say a thousand words.

That tool is probably more commonly just made from scrap in a few minutes when it's needed, and then tossed at the end of the project.

20 pounds is just silly.

Ed