Hi All,

TR6 CR has developed a misfire. All plugs OK but missing "heartbeat" on injector pipe to no. two cylinder. Held injector in a jam jar while Mrs P. turned the engine over (with ignition key!) but nothing came out. I've had the car for 20+ years but injectors are something I've never messed about with before. Looked at Rimmer's online catalogue and got a bit of a shock at the price of replacements (even refurbished ones) if I was to replace all six. TR6 Haynes manual states a blast of compressed air may clear, but that's all. 

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Chris Porter

Hi Chris, speak to Neil Ferguson. K Raven Smith on this forum he refurbishes all things injection and I can’t recommend him highly enough. P m me if you need his mobile number, he is very reasonable.

Hi Chris

There is lots of info on this forum on this subject. You need to be a bit braver and try bleeding the injector with the engine running.

First of all get a large jam jar,  start the car and then pull out the injector and point into the jam jar. If you don't get a spray then point  the injector upright. If there is still no spray after a minute try gently pulling out the pin at the top of the injector  at same time as holding it upright. If you only get dribbling at this stage more often than not putting the injector back in will get it spraying. I don't bother with the jam jar and put lots of rags on the manifold and point the injector at them. I would not advise doing this with a hot engine.

If that doesn't work you can blow air through the injector and it should pop at around 50 PSI.  This should clear out any debris that might be in the injector. I use a electric tyre pump with a camping bed adapter.

Best of luck

Roger

If your system has not been touched in 20 years, it is time for an overhaul of MU, PRV the six nylon hoses and injectors.

Also to change seal materials for ethanol containing fuels.

Waldi

33 minutes ago, Waldi said:

If your system has not been touched in 20 years, it is time for an overhaul of MU, PRV the six nylon hoses and injectors.

Also to change seal materials for ethanol containing fuels.

Waldi

My thoughts exactly Waldi.

Your right Waldi and Kev long term, but short term I think with sun shining Chris maybe wanted a quick fix to put a smile on his face and get out on the open road. :rolleyes:

Roger

53 minutes ago, Rogcastle said:

Your right Waldi and Kev long term, but short term I think with sun shining Chris maybe wanted a quick fix to put a smile on his face and get out on the open road. :rolleyes:

Roger

Sure!

Chris, I would remove the injector, see if it has the nylon filter insert, remove that for cleaning, then blow the injector clear with compressed air. Blow it clear in a white cloth so you can see if and by what is was obstructed. And hopefully this fixes your issue.

#2 and 5 are known for O-ring failures (at the MU connection, hope that is not the case.

Cheers,

Waldi

Have you checked the non return valve at the MU outlet union?

I  used to do clear  no 5 injector every few months with CA and it would work for a while- but eventually I decided to have the injectors and MU rebuilt and recalibrated. 

With a rebuilt and recalibrated PI  system the car was transformed- easy to start and loads more power.

Having had bad experiences with new parts over the years, there is no way I'd exchange my injectors for new as opposed to having the originals rebuilt.

Blow the injector out and bleed with the engine running.

If it's No2 it is likely to be a bit of debris from the "o" ring at the metering unit end dislodge and jamming the injector.

As the old saying goes 1 swallow doesn't make a summer so I wouldn't rush into getting your metering unit an injectors replaced as it may be a one off. If it keeps happening then maybe. However if it the injection parts had been replaced in the last 20 years the seals would likely have been Viton which is more durable than the original seal specification to cope with unleaded fuel and may well carry on working for many years.

Of the top 20 causes of Lucas Fuel injection problems (other than blocked injectors) the first 17 are human interference & meddling followed by fuel restriction from defective/blocked pipes and filters and stuck PRVs the latter exposing a failing fuel pump (be that Bosch or Lucas).

• 2 years later...

I have just had my TR^ injectors serviced for £72.00 plus £2.50 postage. Still had the same issue clearing air locks but he car has been transformed in terms of its performance.

Call Mike Bilney on 01580 - 712762

[m]: 07809-061-245    email: mrph.bilney@btinternet.com

Mail injectors by prior arrangement to:

Terling House, Angley Road, Cranbrook. Kent  TN17 2PQ. United Kingdom

On 7/7/2019 at 9:27 PM, Waldi said:

Sure!

Chris, I would remove the injector, see if it has the nylon filter insert, remove that for cleaning, then blow the injector clear with compressed air. Blow it clear in a white cloth so you can see if and by what is was obstructed. And hopefully this fixes your issue.

#2 and 5 are known for O-ring failures (at the MU connection, hope that is not the case.

Cheers,

Waldi

+1 Bruce, E5 is good at rotting the synthetic rubber parts! E10 will be worse? You have had a good run for your money if you have had no problems in 20 years? Your rubber hoses s/b also replaced if they are 20 years old for safety reasons!

Bruce.

Having worked for Lucas for a good many years as well as Ford Motor Company, I have been servicing TR and 2.5PI injectors for well over 30 years and have developed an extensive portfolio of testimonials from satisfied customers both nationally and internationally. This has included telephone technical assistance when required.

I have researched the subject matter in depth regarding E5 and E10 fuels. In brief, ensure that Injector element seals and MU diaphragms are replaced with Viton. This is also a stipulation anyway when running on unleaded fuel. 

Please see attached technical documentation relating to todays Ethanol fuels.

Kind regards

Mike Bilney

+44 (0) 1580 712762

mob: 07809 061 245

mrph.bilney@btinternet.com

Elastomer Compatibility to Gasoline Containing INtermediate Levels of Ethanol_Kass.pdf FKM properties.doc Viton B-70_datasheet.pdf

Bleed it and see what happens in the future. A blocked injector doesn't necessarily indicate a full overhaul of the fuel system. Repeated problems might but not one or two.