Not the greatest driver.

The Derrington screen would have made a huge difference. Not just in weight but also in aerodynamic terms. I’m sure Peter Cobbold could do the sums but it seemed to me that with the windscreen in place the 2 hits an aerodynamic wall at very little over 100 mph. (Tried at Goodwood)

I don’t remember ( back in the day) seeing cars or pictures of cars in race reports in Autosport using “Brooklands” screens. They probably did, would be interesting to know. The Derrington screen would have been a competitor 

JJC

24363188-E6D3-485B-A633-AA714CC3A79D.jpeg

Even if he could reach the pedals the first time he a saw squirrel the car would have no driver.

Great picture, I think we have a dogs in TR's thread somewhere.

I imagine that cars that were used for rallying needed the windscreen so they could use the weather equipment while the track cars were marketed and equipped so you could drive to the track, put on the aeroscreens, race all day then re-install the winscreen and drive home. Maybe Hamish still does that.

Stan

Sums are not my forte ( I blame it on school, not my laziness B)).

Lots of numbers here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficient

Guessing that removing the widscreen reduces drag area by one third, the the gain in top speed would be very roughly by a factor of square root of 1.33 , which is 15%.

Until it rains.........

Peter 

Afterthought: below 40mph aerodynamic drag is negligible, windsreen or no.

Edited by Peter Cobbold

My TR on aero screens certainly feels more sprightly at motorway speeds.

I have always considered this was due to the reduction of frontal area when the screen was replaced by the lower and smaller aero screens.

Cheers

Peter W

3 hours ago, foster461 said:

while the track cars were marketed and equipped so you could drive to the track, put on the aero screens, race all day then re-install the windscreen and drive home. Maybe Hamish still does that.

Stan

Stan

i did do that and others still do Tom Purves still does in his beautiful car. 

I am a trailer queen now for the competitions. I had to con an RAC person to get me home at one event ( fuel pump) and I now use tyres that are road legal but very soft for competition so wouldn’t last an hour + drive each way on a hot day.

still use just the aero screens on the road tho :D

as for the aero / drag I am wondering if a ridged tonneau would be any better. A sailing friend of mine saw my videos and said I should add battens to the passenger side.

see this thread for my aintree link

Edited by Hamish
Sp