It has been a long time since I assembled a head. This is my low port head for the long door TR2. The valves, collars etc are all Moss items. I expected the collar to sit in the centre of the springs. The springs are centred in the indent in the head.
Is this normal?

IMG_3470.JPG

Looks very wrong to me, but it's a while since I took any valves out - should there not be a reduced diameter under the cap which fits inside the spring ?

Bob.

31 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Looks very wrong to me, but it's a while since I took any valves out - should there not be a reduced diameter under the cap which fits inside the spring ?

Bob.

There is for the inner spring, but not the outer. I wonder if they are the wrong caps but they match the right part numbers?

Is it just me or do those springs look frighteningly close together?

Looks like late TR4-TR4A valve caps which go with twin springs, rather than the TR2-3-3A-3B early TR4 ones that are bigger and go with twin inlet/triple exhaust springs.

Simple solutions - change caps to early type to match the existing springs or change the springs to later twins only to match these caps.

Cheers

Peter W

PS  items 28 & 29 on here may help you.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/engine/cylinder-head-fittings/cylinder-heads-tr2-4a.html

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
link to Moss cylinder head page
21 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Looks like late TR4-TR4A valve caps which go with twin springs, rather than the TR2-3-3A-3B early TR4 ones that are bigger and go with twin inlet/triple exhaust springs.

Simple solutions - change caps to early type to match the existing springs or change the springs to later twins only to match these caps.

Cheers

Peter W

PS  items 28 & 29 on here may help you.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/engine/cylinder-head-fittings/cylinder-heads-tr2-4a.html

The collars are part no 821-200, double springs TR2-4A. Are the 821-205 larger diameter?

I'm not using the third spring on the exhaust, they aren't needed for normal motoring and often bind. Maybe wrong springs. They are part no 831-000 which should be compatible with the collars.

Edited by John McCormack
17 minutes ago, John McCormack said:

The collars are part no 821-200, double springs TR2-4A. Are the 821-205 larger diameter?

I'm not using the third spring on the exhaust, they aren't needed for normal motoring and often bind. Maybe wrong springs. They are part no 831-000 which should be compatible with the collars.

821-200 are for double springs which are a smaller external diameter than the 'triple' arrangement.

Looks like you need collar 821-205 to match your spring set.  Your 'triple' spring set I am guessing is 831-000

Link to Moss USA  https://mossmotors.com/triumph-tr2-3-4/engine-performance/cylinder-head-1502

Cheers

Peter W

6 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

821-200 are for double springs which are a smaller external diameter than the 'triple' arrangement.

Looks like you need collar 821-205 to match your spring set.  Your 'triple' spring set I am guessing is 831-000

Link to Moss USA  https://mossmotors.com/triumph-tr2-3-4/engine-performance/cylinder-head-1502

Cheers

Peter W

Thanks Peter. I have come to the same conclusion.

I'll try to offload these collars and find some 821-205. At least I don't have to rush, I want to run the engine in using the existing high port head.

5 hours ago, John McCormack said:

Thanks Peter. I have come to the same conclusion.

I'll try to offload these collars and find some 821-205. At least I don't have to rush, I want to run the engine in using the existing high port head.

Have you tried both the manifolds, inlet & exhaust, you intend to use on both the high and low port heads?  There is a clamping mismatch,  from memory.

Cheers

Peter W

10 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Have you tried both the manifolds, inlet & exhaust, you intend to use on both the high and low port heads?  There is a clamping mismatch,  from memory.

Cheers

Peter W

Yes, there are differences between low and high port head exhaust manifolds. I have a low port manifold and just yesterday put both inlet and exhaust manifolds on to check fit. All good..