Alternator warning light

Hi Folks,

driving home from a local group meeting on Thursday evening and I noticed the Alt warning light gently smiling at me.

nothing too enthusiastic, well it was a warm evening so no need to get excited.

Anyway, Friday morning I checked the battery volts - 12.7 ish. Then re-checked with engine running 12.5 ish. Hmm, odd I thought.

The Alternator was rebuilt last Summer and has worked well till now.

Never to worry I have a new one on the shelf that I bought last Summer but never used.

Install new Alt, start engine, warning light not on, check battery - 12.5v.  Hmm odd!!! I thought. Also  I didn't actually see the warning light with the engine off.

Indeed, ignition On, engine off - no light.

I'm now thinking I have two duff alternators.

Start to remove the Alt and the cap pulls off the three pin Alt plug. I notice the small connector is rather loose.

Clean and refit the connector (having closed the connector edges to grip better). Ignition warning light now on.

So, run the engine and watch the Battery volts climb from 12.5 up to apprx 13.5.

I suspect the original Alt is OK and that the loose connector was the cause of the faint glimmer from the warning light.

Roger

On 7/6/2019 at 1:48 PM, cvtrian said:

Simple things first Roger............

Ian

Yippee I’m first. :wacko: