Confused about bonnet stay suddenly starting to catch on brake reservoir??

Hello Panch

On the 6 there are 2 conical rubber buffers that fit under each side of the rear of bonnet (part number 612962). If these are misaligned then the bonnet may not spring open even if the centre latch is in the correct position. To adjust simply loosen the nuts that hold them in place, close the bonnet. This will centralise them in the corresponding bit in the bonnet. Then open bonnet and tighten the nuts. This was the problem on a 4A I fixed a while ago. Opens a treat now.

Keith

Hi Keith, thanks... yes checked those already and they are in the correct position and holding the edges of the bonnet correctly in line with the front scuttle and wing panels. I'm guessing that the spring tension itself can be adjusted somehow to increase its 'spring'? 

Panch 

Hello again Panch

The alignment of the spring mechanism I check by looking at the side to side alignment by viewing from the vent side. Then I check the back to front by looking in from the side of the bonnet. The bottom of the spring should be central to the locking catch. When you close the bonnet down and let it rest on the spring is it high enough. If not then you can get some extra length on the spring. Do this by loosening the locknut which is inside the top of the spring (use a thin spanner to get to this). Then you will find that the plunger at the bottom of the spring mechanism has a slot into which you can insert a screwdriver. Slacken this off a fraction and tighten locknut. This will allow the spring to be a bit longer and the bonnet to sit a bit higher in the release position. Don't undo it too much or the spring will come off completely. The spring on mine is approx 8cm top to bottom. If you want to see how much adjustment you have on the spring you can unbolt the 2 bolts holding the catch to see how much thread is the other side. Obviously if you do this then you will need to re-align it again as above. See link to Rimmers page https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID600302 item 2 where you can see how the bits fit together. You should only need a light pull on the release cable to open the bonnet.

Keith

On 7/6/2019 at 3:43 PM, John L said:

I think the new rubber pads are not correct, this is what's mine like, it has a groove to hold the rod that the new don't.

This is more what it should like its from MGB #34 https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/mg/mgb-c-v8/body-chassis/bonnet-fittings/bonnet-fittings-mgb.html

Hope this may help

John

IMG_2293 (2).JPG

Thats not original.

Stuart.

One more observation - you say that the 2 cone shaped buffers are holding the bonnet correctly in line. The bonnet is lined up using the adjustment on the hinges. The 2 buffers are there to stop it vibrating at the corners and to make sure the top is level with the top of the scuttle. They are not there to line up that part of the bonnet. To see if they are holding the bonnet down just put some silicone grease or vaseline on them and see if the bonnet releases then.

Keith

20 hours ago, Panch said:

Thanks everyone... bent the stay and now works perfectly... :D  It feels a little bit of a bodge job in terms of a fix, but I guess I should be used to that by now with the TR... ;)

I'm guessing there's some adjustment on the spring too in order to get the bonnet to 'pop' open better? I've checked all my alignments and the latch sits central when it goes down, but only pops up a little, rather than all the way to the latch stop when I pull the bonnet release handle?

Panch

If it shuts correctly then it maybe the spring is tired.

Stuart

No because if you wind the pin in further then it may not engage the catch fully and you`ll have the bonnet springing open.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart...  I'll be careful then if I do end up adjusting it.

Keith, I'll have another play with what you have suggested when the car comes back from the having the hood adjusted and hopefully resolve it. It's not a big one, as I can still get the bonnet open.. it just needs a bit more effort!

Panch