Confused about bonnet stay suddenly starting to catch on brake reservoir??

So the car's been back on the road for nearly a couple of months, and I've had the bonnet open and closed a lot in that time... as you can imagine! So why, suddenly, since last weekend, has the angled end of the bonnet stay started lifting up over the brake reservoir and catching on the top of it when closing the bonnet?? I've tried the action slowly, and I can't see anything loose, or bent.. so I'm confused.. why was it working perfectly a week ago and now catching??  :( 

Anyone else come across this before and what's the fix please? It's a UK spec CP car, so it's not to do with it being a US import.. Thanks.. :D

Panch 

Sorry Roger, I should have said, it's a TR6 not a TR5..! I don't seem to remember ever having a buffer on though?? 

Sorry Nigel, I'm not sure I'm getting what you mean.. maybe I should take a picture of what I've got.. might be easier. . :)

Panch 

Hi Panch,

the TR6 also has a rubber buffer, my old one was old and brittle.

Regards,

Waldi

So, looking again, I do have the rubber stop in place, and the issue is still happening.

Colin - I've check the stay, and yes, it is straight... in fact, I've tried to be it a little the 'other way' in order to move it away from the brake reservoir when the bonnet is shut, and that hasn't helped either!

It's a bit hard to photograph Roger, but see if this makes sense!

Photo 1 - bonnet open showing stay and rubber

Photo 2 - bonnet closing with stay moving backwards

Photo 3 - bonnet nearly closed showing stay just under the brake reservoir

Photo 4 - bonnet on catch showing stay pushing on underside of the reservoir

If I pushed the bonnet shut from the position in Photo4, there's a loud 'clonk' as the stay forces itself around the side of the reservoir and the 90deg hook end sits on top on the brake reservoir!

Does that make sense? I'm surprised that no-one has encountered this? and as I say, it was working absolutely fine a couple of weeks ago, so struggling to understand what's changed?? ;)

Panch

IMG_20190706_133002.jpg

IMG_20190706_133012.jpg

IMG_20190706_133059.jpg

IMG_20190706_133142.jpg

I think the new rubber pads are not correct, this is what's mine like, it has a groove to hold the rod that the new don't.

This is more what it should like its from MGB #34 https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/mg/mgb-c-v8/body-chassis/bonnet-fittings/bonnet-fittings-mgb.html

Hope this may help

John

IMG_2293 (2).JPG

Edited by John L

Roger - No, the stay is standard length, although someone has suggested shortening it to resolve the problem, but I'm reluctant to do that as it will reduce the opening on the bonnet when it's up...

It is attached at the bonnet end with a nut and washer onto the standard bolt which sticks out sidewards as per the pics in the Moss catalogue above.

John, that's a really interesting shot... now I wonder if the rubber has actually been fitted on mine correctly then. The slit in the rubber has been slid onto the metal bracket, whereas I wonder if it should actually be screwed below the bracket as shown in your picture? Obviously the slit is much narrower though and it just a 'slit' rather than shaped to house the bar so wouldn't fit the stay bar through it without modification.  Has anyone else fitted a 'modern' rubber as supplied by Moss/Rimmer and had the same issue I wonder... and is mine fitted correctly?

Panch 

The early MGB one is interesting, I have been trying to sort out rattle on my 4 for ages, I think I’ll give that a a try - thank you for the pointer John

.......Andy 

Panch to me your Bar looks wrong reasons below

Bar should be 500mm Long,its thickness is between 8 and 8.5mm and the return on the end is 28mm.

Mine has a slight curvature to it but unsure if that feature is original.

Ill try and add some Pics below but if they dont appear PM me you Email and I’ll send them on.

The system won’t allow me any more Photos so if you need them PM me.

JohnL sorry but your Rubber is on wrong.

L

Edited by TR NIALL

@TR

If you think the rubber is wrong or fitted wrong perhaps can you give a picture of what it should be then,

hasn't anybody got an original they could post a picture please.  Were's Saffi?

John

Here is a link to Ed’s masterpiece:

DSC05341a.JPG

I had the same rubber on my car before I started the restoration.

It folds around the welded bracket and is secured with a screw. I have bought a new one which I still need to fit.

My bonnet stay is also slightly bent sidewards like Nials stay above.

Waldi

17 hours ago, AndyR100 said:

The early MGB one is interesting, I have been trying to sort out rattle on my 4 for ages, I think I’ll give that a a try - thank you for the pointer John

.......Andy 

Hi Andy,

cover the stay with black heat shrink sleeving it will last a good year before needing replacing.

The elongated hole in the bracket, which the stay passes through, can have some rubber sleeve added to it.

Rattles gone

Roger

57 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Andy,

cover the stay with black heat shrink sleeving it will last a good year before needing replacing.

The elongated hole in the bracket, which the stay passes through, can have some rubber sleeve added to it.

Rattles gone

Roger

Thanks Roger, I havnt tried that so will give it a go as well :)

......Andy 

Thanks everyone... bent the stay and now works perfectly... :D  It feels a little bit of a bodge job in terms of a fix, but I guess I should be used to that by now with the TR... ;)

I'm guessing there's some adjustment on the spring too in order to get the bonnet to 'pop' open better? I've checked all my alignments and the latch sits central when it goes down, but only pops up a little, rather than all the way to the latch stop when I pull the bonnet release handle?

Panch