Gearbox with no name!

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can help with a little problem, I acquired a spare cp engine and gearbox with a tr6  I bought and try as I may - I cannot find any identification stamps anywhere on the casing there are none and there is absolutely no evedence of ever being one or one being removed. 

There is a date mark on the right hand side that looks like it was scored into the casting sand reading 19/2/75 and that's all apart from the usual raised casting numbers....... Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated. 

Graham 

DSC_2871.JPG

Graham - I've seen that or something very similar on a Stag box previously but it still had numbering stamped onto the clutch cross shaft boss.

Can you supply a photo of the whole box? Does it have an OD unit attached - if so what are the serial numbers of that?

Cheers

Rich 

Thanks for replying Rich & Mike here's the side I would expect the I D. to be but nothing at all anywhere on the casings! It's a bit of a mystery to me. The internal are like new which had me wondering if it could have been a replacement box supplied by Triumph /Leyland?? 

Regards 

Graham 

1562170198779344057045934020780.jpg

Well it’s got a TR cross shaft and a reversing light switch so with its age, it would appear to be a TR6

A late TR 6 box of that vintage should have a higher first gear than earlier ones - I think that means it should have 32 teeth on it 

It could still be an ex stag box - most oh the ones I’ve seen are stamped on the off side boss not near side like most others - is there anything there?

must go as off to Goodwood!

cheers

Rich

Hi guys, 

No stampings on the other side either... Or anywhere else so I will count the gear teeth to see if this can shed some light! 

Hope thee weather holds good for Goodwood Rich

DSC_2883.JPG

Hi - just one more thought - I take it the input shaft is 1.25” tr one and not the 1” saloon one - have you got a pic of it?

Goodwood yesterday hot and busy! Today even more so!!

cheers

Rich

Hi Rich 

Yes it's definitely 1.25" splined shaft with what looks like very little use as most of the marks you can see are storage marks really, so maybe it is a new/recon factory unit? 

I must get round to counting the gear teeth! 

Graham 

DSC_2895.JPG

On 7/2/2019 at 9:30 PM, racey said:

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can help with a little problem, I acquired a spare cp engine and gearbox with a tr6  I bought and try as I may - I cannot find any identification stamps anywhere on the casing there are none and there is absolutely no evedence of ever being one or one being removed. 

There is a date mark on the right hand side that looks like it was scored into the casting sand reading 19/2/75 and that's all apart from the usual raised casting numbers....... Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated. 

Graham 

DSC_2871.JPG

My suspicions are that the casing was supplied as a spare only to replace a damaged one with the internals coming from else where! That would explain why there is no stamps on the casing which are only put on compete units.

Bruce.

My tranny has a similar casting date (“25/3/75”, IIRC) in the same location (the handwriting’s different, though :)) Since it’s in the car, I can’t see if there are any other stamps. I assumed it was standard, and that the ‘75 tranny was further evidence of the Frankenstein nature of my car (a ‘72, and the tranny has an A-type O/D)

Edited by Litespud
On 7/4/2019 at 10:26 AM, racey said:

Hi guys, 

No stampings on the other side either... Or anywhere else so I will count the gear teeth to see if this can shed some light! 

Hope thee weather holds good for Goodwood Rich

DSC_2883.JPG

If there is any number ID stamping then its on the rear of the left hand side boss for the cross shaft.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, I've scanned every inch of the outer casings and absolutely nothing what so ever - totally unstamped

Graham