Bulb Holder Quality

Hi

Did a clean up of back lights and one holder was in bits so bought a couple for the usual suspect purveyors.  If I was to say; 1 = **** and 5 = decent, the quality of the holders was about 1.5.  The material was poor, fitting was awkward and I was waiting for one of the prongs to snap and I literally forced it in.  For those who know the acronym, they were CCC.

Guess I buy used off eBay and clean up next time.

Rich

Had a similar experience Rich

in the end i ‘enhanced’ the bulbholders with soldered in earth connections which makes them much more reliable

stevepost-9473-0-17170100-1525246370_thumb.jpeg

Same here,Steve.

The earth side connection from the side of the bulb to the car is via the spring prongs mounted on a ring that is held in contact with the holder side connector by the plastic body.  I haven't been able to see a 'proper' electrical contact - it looks just like a pressure contact.  When you consider the force required to fit or especially to remove the holder from car, it is no wonder that the contact becomes unreliable.

Been there, had the same unsatisfactory experience, for my Triumphs and the Scimitar which all use the same holders.

Best to try and refresh what you've got, or find good second-hand.

Nigel

With all of the unsoldered dissimilar metals in the return path of these sockets, it is not surprizing that they have ground issues. The tragic thing is that the plastic housing is set up for an explicit ground connection, as is the rubber boot.  This makes adding a ground terminal not all that difficult.

Ed

IMG_1785a.JPG