Parts list on spreadsheet

Hi all, 

To maintain some order with recording the spares I need to service, replace or find during my TR4 restoration and possibly more scary the cost. I'm keen to track down a suitable spreadsheet for the task.

May I ask if anyone has done something simular and could possibly point me in the right direction to obtaining one. 

Many thanks

Steve

Is it a spread sheet.like Excel or a database like FileMaker Pro that you want?  (MS users will probably go for Access for the database prog, which I am not familiar with.)

i write parts catalogues using both on a Mac running ios 10.9.  The database prog is most useful as it is relational, using part nos to find listings and insert other info from other databases I hold.  Additionally each database record has the ability to hold a photo,sketch,drawing  of the item it relates to. 

Excel is a simple way of manipulating the data you build.  

Both programmes are able to export in other readable formats.  FileMaker is good as it is ‘cross-platform’

The guiding principle is discipline over part number format and use of full descriptions and a field of keyword  like nut, bolt, screw, spring. This eases product searches.  Also useful to describe the items area of use, like fuel system front suspension, chassis etc.  There will of course then be items that have multiple area uses like fasteners.

If using original parts books as your database source be aware of part number superscessions.  Moss do not acknowledge them in their web pages.  ie  HB0808 (original Triumph part no) is GHF103 (Unipart supplying part number) and is  a 5/16 unf hex head screw.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • 5 months later...
3 hours ago, Bfg said:

Has anyone a Microsoft word document, or better still an excel spreadsheet, of usual parts needed to rebuild a four cylinder TR engine.?  Ideally a TR4 / 4A  please. 

Pete.  

I have an breakdown of the parts and part numbers if it helps?

happy to send if you pm me your email addy

tom

11 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Great - Thanks PM sent

Pete

Received, happy to help

Tom