Replacement Ignition Switch / Steering Lock

Hi, I have a 1972 CP TR6 and the ignition switch lock barrel has broken in two, I have purchased a new one from Rimmer's and to make sure I received the correct version I rang them up and ordered a replacement. However, when I compare the old and new they are different.   I have not offered the new on to the steering column yet but looking at them I will  need to modify the ignition crash pad to accommodate the new one and make a new clamp. 

I have trawled the forum  and cannot find any reference to modifying the crash pad which leads me to thinking , 'have I got the right one', before I contact Rimmer's I thought I would seek your advice,  have any of you come across this before and do I have the correct lock, see picture below 

Thanks Phil

lock2.JPG

4 hours ago, Phil M said:

Hi, I have a 1972 CP TR6 and the ignition switch lock barrel has broken in two, I have purchased a new one from Rimmer's and to make sure I received the correct version I rang them up and ordered a replacement. However, when I compare the old and new they are different.   I have not offered the new on to the steering column yet but looking at them I will  need to modify the ignition crash pad to accommodate the new one and make a new clamp. 

I have trawled the forum  and cannot find any reference to modifying the crash pad which leads me to thinking , 'have I got the right one', before I contact Rimmer's I thought I would seek your advice,  have any of you come across this before and do I have the correct lock, see picture below 

Thanks Phil

lock2.JPG

Phil I had exactly the same problem the 'crash pad' that fits around the ignition lock on the left won't fit the new replacement lock on the right, I think you will also find that the replacement locks have double sided(double bitted) keys and the lock on the left has a single sided key.  I ended up having to 'fettle' my original lock and refit that

Gents,Thanks for the feedback,

Graham, did you consider using the new lock and modifying the crash pad or was it a case the lock did not fit

thanks

• 11 months later...

Hi Phil, I had the same issue.  The lock will fit mechanically, mine did, the ‘trim’ wouldn’t fit though and so I left it off as it didn’t seem to matter given the location. It is important that you get the wiring right though as the switch on the back may be different in terms of the wiring, there are two versions of that too. Good luck though, I managed to get mine sorted.

Hi Steve,

Yes I had  to modify the crash pad by grinding the metal internal support plate and sponge then cut the mounting clip, see photos

I also had a problem with the steering column anti torque strap fowling the rear terminal section of the ignition switch preventing the steering lock engaging, the fix was using an angle grinder to remove the lower of the torque stray cross members. To maintain the straps strength I welded the cross member further up the strap.

There may be an easier solution, but at the time I could not find a thread on the subject

Regards Phil

IMG_3609.jpeg

IMG_3608.jpeg

steering.png

On 7/2/2019 at 10:35 AM, Phil M said:

Thanks Phil

lock2.JPG

All I know is that there were more than 1 manufacture of these and Moss do sell more than one type or they did when I enquired? I found this out when I had trouble with mine and thought that I may have to replace it. You do not say who made your original?

Bruce.

10 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

All I know is that there were more than 4 manufactures of these and Moss do sell more than one type or they did when I enquired? I found this out when I had trouble with mine and thought that I may have to replace it. You do not say who made your original?

Bruce.

P..S.I have now looked at my Moss catalogue and looking at the photo that shows the back of the ignition S/W I believe that you require picture #90 part#219061/1 on page 103 of their cat.

Bruce.

Steve, when I replaced mine a year ago I tried to get the original lock i.e single sided key, the lock on the left of the picture at the top, both Rimmer's and Moss advertised such lock, bit what turned upon as the lock on the right, double sided key. I contacted both and another supplier all said, the double sided key lock was all that was available now. I recall there were two options for connections, wired and spade terminals both  inserts to the main body.

Rgds Phil

I have this one for sale if it helps anyone:

waso3.jpg

Waso1.jpg

Steve, if it were me I would definitely  take Ian up on his offer, it will save a lot of aggravation

Hi Phil & Ian - thanks for the info and Ian thanks for the prompt dispatch of the steering lock - I'm now back up & running with Ian's steering lock and an unmolested crash pad. The PO had used standard bolts rather than shear-bolts to refit my steering lock at some  point, which made it easy to remove and then fit the new one.  If anyone needs to know in future, the threads are 5/16" UNC and 1" bolts do the trick.

Cheers

Steve

• 9 months later...

I am new to hobby and purchased 75 TR6 with overdrive.found little black round looks like key holder

In the dash. Looked it up in Anglo parts catalogue and says it is crash pad ignition.Where does it go and what is the purpose of it?My ignition is under steering wheel between my legs. When you are 6ft 2 it is 

certainly not very well positioned.Thanks for the 

help

On 7/2/2019 at 10:35 AM, Phil M said:

Thanks Phil

lock2.JPG

I would establish what make is your original one and then phone up Moss and see if they have that make/type in stock. As I know they stock more than one make. A lot less aggro in the long run!

Bruce.