Hi Folks,

as you probably know the TR6 suffered from a sticky clutch in the early days - often refered to as 'Ratchet clutch'. One major cause of this is mis-alignment of the gearbox to the engine.

I have had the same thing on my TR4A but for a different reason.  It is caused by the Clutch release bearing's (CRB) coned face being centred on the coned fingers of the diaphragm but with the crb and GB extension out of alignment.

Upon return the CRB is out of alignment of jams/judders on the nose of the GB extension.

The earlier cars TR2 - 4 do not suffer this as the CRB has a flat face acting on flatish clutch cover fingers.

Now to my crazy idea - for the Diaphragm cover  why not use a flat faced CRB (as per TR4)  This would not be good with the coned diaphragm fingers.

Is it possible to put an adaptor between the CRB and the fingers. This adaptor would need a flat face for the CRB to run against; a 'coned' face for the fingers to slip along and a central extension to fit over the GB extension and beyond the fingers to keep it central.

The adaptor could be simply made from a decent steel as it would not necessarily need to rotate (simply go in  a few fractions of an inch) as the bearing should still rotate.

Why bother with such madness - ratchet clutch/judder still happens. Mis-alignments still happen. And more seriously the CRB does eventually eat the diaphragm fingers away.

I feel another winter project coming on.:o

Can anybody please, tell me the ID of the hole created by the diaphragm fingers. I have a spare GB extension so I know that dimension.

Form an orderly queue, orders will be taken on 1st April 2020

Roger

Edited by RogerH

So you want to fit a MGB clutch cover?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=image+mgb+clutch&t=ipad&iax=images&ia=images&iai=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rimmerbros.co.uk%2FItemImages%2FLarge%2FGCK109P.JPG

The gap of a Laycock cover unfitted measures 42 mm across between fingers of the diaphragm.

Cheers

Peter W

Hi Pete,

how does that happen - I thought I had just invented it.

That looks so much more correct.  The flat face would stop ratchet/judder in its tracks.

Do the fixing holes to the flywheel correspond to the 4A flywheel - I bet not!!!

Roger 

57 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Pete,

how does that happen - I thought I had just invented it.

That looks so much more correct.  The flat face would stop ratchet/judder in its tracks.

Do the fixing holes to the flywheel correspond to the 4A flywheel - I bet not!!!

Roger 

My MGB service manual says the clutch is 203 mm 8 inches.  

TR is 215 mm. 8 1/2”. Now something tells me MGC is bigger diameter and also has the crb pad

Trip to Moss with a ruler i guess is in order.

Peter W