Surrey top rear frame fitment

I have just had the rear frame for the surrey top soda blasted and having primed it thought that I would remind myself of how it attaches to the rear deck. However, when I removed the frame I did not take any photos as I thought that it would be obvious how it goes back. Wrong!! In the photos attached you can see 3 studs, these are mirrored on the other side and then there is a central one in the middle of the deck making 7 in all, as in the Moss catalogue. However there does not appear to be the correct number of holes in the deck to receive the studs.There are holes for the 5 across the rear deck but not the next 2. Hope that makes sense. What obvious point am I missing please?

Many thanks,

Tim

IMG_4868m.thumb.JPG.80d7a7ce21b09a2f02be6024b21c3509.JPGIMG_4869m.thumb.JPG.bbf88d3d2379a071e4797d91302fb37e.JPGIMG_4870m.thumb.JPG.904c88ba80c6dc7e4a13ade62d45d2a4.JPG

Hi Tim,

You have TR4a front arms on the rear deck ( where the come forward and weld to the B posts. These are thinner than the backlight which was designed for the TR4, the backlight fits all 4/4a/5/6 models but because they have different type hood frames, with attached front hood capping, the frames need more space to fold down. This means the second stud back on each side back from the b post position on the backlight, needs removing ( there is no hole in the rear deck forward arms for it to fit through). Well known original fitting mod.

The backlight will then fit on the rear deck fine on the existing holes and studs.

Mick Richards

Thanks for the reply Mick. My bewilderment is caused by the fact that I have not changed the front arms from the deck or added the 'surplus' studs, so it somehow worked before I took it all apart. Anyway I will remove the surplus studs.

Cheers

Tim

It’s as Mick said. 

You could make a bracket on the H frame to take the second stud back. It may be useful to pull the frame onto the rubber in that area. 

The front fitting on each side should be a stud screwed into the H frame horn. 

Hi Tim,

that stud will fit on the inside of the rear deck forward arms but will have little  effect.

You could make a bracket as suggested by Andrew - but is not essential.

The very forward hole will need bolting down though.

Roger

Many thanks everybody.

Much appreciated as usual.

Tim

You will need to fit studs and spacer rubbers to the front holes on the forward deck extensions.

Stuart.

Understood Stuart.

Many thanks,

Tim