Gearbox rebuild

Hi all

In the near future I will have to rebuild my gearbox because of bad syncro in third gear (changing from 4th to third) - It is an original gearbox with an A-type overdrive. The A-type overdrive is fully rebuilt.

Double coupling and a little blipping the gaspedal in between eliminates the problem.

When I am there I will of course change the bearings and so on as well. 

Has anyone experience with the rebuild-kit from Rimmer or other recommandation?

Cheers 

Tage

Edited by 15eren

I got my kit from Moss, after the TR gearbox seminar with recommendation from P Cox. He thought the synchro cones were OK at that time it must 2 years + by now.

I would find out which bearings they supply, the Moss ones are not RHP, I think would be worth the extra to get them

John

13 hours ago, 15eren said:

Hi all

In the near future I will have to rebuild my gearbox because of bad syncro in third gear (changing from 4th to third) - It is an original gearbox with an A-type overdrive. The A-type overdrive is fully rebuilt.

Double coupling and a little blipping the gaspedal in between eliminates the problem.

When I am there I will of course change the bearings and so on as well. 

Has anyone experience with the rebuild-kit from Rimmer or other recommandation?

Cheers 

Tage

Hi John,

The key supplier for O/D & gearbox parts here in the UK is ORS as they overhaul O/D's and gearboxes and manufactures a lot of the parts themselves as they have originally bought a lot of the original GKN Gear Cutting machine tools as well as originally working for them. They are also able to carry out the 3 bearing lay gear conversion and the bronze clutch bearing carrier conversion both of which I would recommend. I had a major problem with Moss layshafts being soft and after some investigation it appeared that this problem had gone on for years as a number of major UK restorers would not use their gear box parts and described their parts with Anglo Saxon wording!!! That said it all to me! But remember some of those gearbox bearings are expensive and they are not made in China.

Bruce.

I have just rebuilt a Stag box (mostly the same internals) but have opted for the more expensive RHP mainshaft bearings and the bastuck synchro rings as my experience on previous rebuilds is the cheap parts are somewhat limited in life expectancy.

I certainly found a full set of cheap synchro rings on a Dolomite Sprint box I built some years ago made changing gear extremely difficult to the point I bent a selector fork. Subsequent to that I used good used synchro rings when rebuilding boxes but have now run out of them.

So far the bastuck rings (bought from Rimmers) have worked well.

Neil

I'm not sure what all comes in a gearbox rebuild kit, but I don't see how they could anticipate exactly what you'll need.  Bearings and seals, sure, but there will likely be other worn or broken parts.  I just bought the parts I needed.

Ed 

Thanks to all, who has replied till now.

I am now considering perhaps to only replace the faulty syncro-rings, and perhaps keep the bearings and seals (if they seem to be OK).

It sounds to be very difficult to be sure, that replacement bearings are OK, and if everything else but the syncro-rings are OK, why not just change the syncro-rings?

Gearbox-out is after all not that big og a job - 2 hours out and perhaps 2-3 hours in. Have done it 2 times because of clutch-problems.

Cheers

Tage

Edited by 15eren