Hi, I am a new member. I am in Australia and have recently purchased an American 71 bodied tr6 that has been swapped to rhd. The engine is a MM44873HEA. It is fuel injected with electronic ignition. It has tr5 cam, roller rockers, I was told it was balanced and ported? It has a lsd and tube shocks. Has been lowered with gas shocks stiff springs sway bars front and back. Nissan 300zx ventilated discs and 4 pot calipers. It has electronic overdrive on the stick for 2nd,3rd and 4th. It has minilights with 205/65r15 front and back. Bosche fuel pump and an alloy fuel tank. It has extractors into a single 2 and 1/4 stainless exhaust(very noisy) It has a roll bar and came with 4 point harness. It has no fan, but has thermo fan fitted. It drives great but is very thirsty and a bit snatchy when driving around town.The car had been stored for a number of years and I am sorting out its needs.  Are these normal upgrades and is it ok to just drive as a day car??

IMG_1625.jpg

Edited by Angus Bruce
More info

hi Angus

Welcome aboard!  You car has quite a lot of mods on it, and maybe hard to say why its so thirsty.  Can you guess on what your getting per litre/km?

Rich

I have many of those mods. My car is OK to drive around town but it is much more uncomfortable in traffic than a modern automatic. I prefer to use the TR6 on country roads and burn out a modern automatic in stop/start traffic.

My fuel consumption is high compared to, say , the wife's  Mazda 3, but this is not unexpected for a 50 year old semi competition engine.

Make sure your overdrive interlocks lock the OD out in 1st and reverse, mine weren't- a legacy of when TR6's  were used as  cheap   expendable   hillclimbers 30 or more years ago.

Hi Angus,

Fuel consumption with the CP / TR5 cam should be ~ 24 mpg Imperial overall and 30-32 mpg highway with the injection dialed in. I say that because that's what I get with the same cam on Weber DCOEs,  O/D and factory final drive and tire diameter. 90,000 miles and counting with that setup.

Cams govern the fuel consumption, duration being the determining factor in inverse proportion.

It's pretty amazing how the milder factory cams in the TRs deliver fuel economy up to 40 mpg Imperial, even the U.S. market 6-pot ones with O/D, highway use anyway. I remember reading how a TR2 or 3 got over 70 mpg ( Imperial, I assume ) in contests back in the day.

FWIW, my 2016 Cadillac 2.0 T gets about 28 mpg Imperial overall though it does weigh 3300 lbs and with 20 psi of boost delivers 272 HP and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Tom

Hi Angus

i have a ‘mongrel’ tr6 with a similar spec in many ways, and as Tom says i get about 25mpg average and 30mpg when driven gently

suspension wise also similar, front and rear arb and telescopic conversion, lsd, polybushes

ride is a little choppy over bumps/potholes but car handles bends superbly

i suggest a tune of the pi setup will remove the driveability issues, mine pulls smoothly from 1500 revs and comes on cam at 3500 revs, pulling to 6000 enthusiastically

hth

steve

14 hours ago, Mike C said:

I have many of those mods. My car is OK to drive around town but it is much more uncomfortable in traffic than a modern automatic. I prefer to use the TR6 on country roads and burn out a modern automatic in stop/start traffic.

My fuel consumption is high compared to, say , the wife's  Mazda 3, but this is not unexpected for a 50 year old semi competition engine.

Make sure your overdrive interlocks lock the OD out in 1st and reverse, mine weren't- a legacy of when TR6's  were used as  cheap   expendable   hillclimbers 30 or more years ago.

Any tips on how to lock it out,? Have read about what can happen in reverse, ouch

21 minutes ago, trtyme said:

Any tips on how to lock it out,? Have read about what can happen in reverse, ouch

Hi    

there are 2 or 3 switches on the gearbox top cover that have to be engaged before overdrive will operate.

On the TR6 these are actioned by engaging 3rd or 4th gear plus the operating switch on the steering column.

OD in reverse is not good news at all. However under normal conditions it should not be able to engage OD in reverse gear.

However if the wiring loom is in very poor condition and it shorts to earth you would still need to have the column switch engaged.

Keep everything in good order and sleep comfortably in your bed.

Roger

7 hours ago, trtyme said:

I pulled off the transmission cover and checked the interlock wiring. The switches are on the selector shafts.  You should have power to the O/D  solenoid with the switches engaging in 2nd.3rd and 4th. No power with  the selector's in 1st and reverse.

Some, win at any cost, previous owner  had hard wired my  O/D selector direct to the battery trying to get an edge in hill climbs.

If your O/D is permanently wired to engage in all gears you  will feel a worrying partial  lock up in reverse if you inadvertently leave the O/D switched on -feels like you're backing over a small bump. You will also see the O/D come in when you switch it on in 1st- the revs will  drop.

I'm in Sydney (Leichhardt), where are you?