TR4A rear body bump stops

Hi Guys,

The rear body mounted bump stops on my 65 TR4A have a aluminium spacer, about 5/8" thick, under the bump stop. The spacer seems to be original, definitely been there a long time, certainly pre early 80's when the car was last on the road. The moss catalogue does not show this spacer. I'm not sure that the bump stop in the catalogue would have enough thread to cater for this spacer anyway. 

I have not been able to unscrew the bump stop, probably made worse by the aluminium corroding around the thread. I will have to resort to  heat I guess.

My question is was this original, and whether fitting the current available bump stop, as my TR6, (without spacer) be suitable. Perhaps the spacer has been fitted to overcome the apparent  rear spring weakness in the TR4a. According the Moss catalogue TR6 springs should be fitted?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards Rich

Edited by rvwp

I think some were fitted with them from new.  Mine has them and I know of others too.

The tread is long enough to take the threads of the bump stop.

Just replaced one side and will do the second when I can borrow a more potent blow torch than mine.

2 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

I think some were fitted with them from new.  Mine has them and I know of others too.

The tread is long enough to take the threads of the bump stop.

Just replaced one side and will do the second when I can borrow a more potent blow torch than mine.

Hi Andy

I would be surprised if you didn’t have bottoming out issues. The alloy spacers are probably the type fitted on the front chassis to body mountings. IF the springs are standard you would not need bump stops so close to the chassis as the springs are soft anyway. To get them out put a large pair of pipe grips or ‘mole’ grips on the circular disc at the top of the bump stop to loosen. They normally come out.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

I reckon in my case having been fitted probably from new, that it will be very likely that the bolt will shear, especially as the spacer is aluminium. Luckily I have oxy/acetylene so can heat up the bolt to remove the them as the body is off the chassis. What about using TR6 rear springs as recommended by Moss?

Rich

If memory serves the retaining nut is caged and may start turning loose as you prematurely claim victory so you won't be able to take it off unless you drill through the bump stop stand and try to lock the nut with as screw driver after flooding the inside with WD40 

Edited by Geko
spell

If that turns out to be the case probably best to snap off the stud, drill out the nut and surrounding metal with a hole saw, and MIG or TIG in a new plate with a nut welded to it. Obviously difficult to generate much heat if the car is built up.

Kevin