Propshaft Removal TR4

Hello All,

I have developed a chatter noise at low speed that speeds up to a whine.

Been under the car and the UJ at the diff end of the pro-shaft has freeplay, unfortunately it looks as dry as a bone grease wise..

Can the propshaft on a TR4 be removed from below, rather than pulling out the tunnel?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thx

In my experience propshaft UJ's don't usually whine, when worn they "clunk" on take off, then at speed you may feel a vibration as the shaft moves off center..

Sounds more like a wheel bearing to me, or maybe pinion bearing.

Bob.

+1 for that Bob, but the fact there is identifiable slack in the rear UJ is good enough reason to pull the prop & replace the joint anyway - get that done first & see what's left to deal with... it should be easier to identify if the UJ's are in good order

Thanks for the all the advice, caught a video on replacing UJ's on Youtube and the sound i get is exactly the same at low speed and as it speeds up, eventually disappearing all together (more of a metallic screech..screech..screech than a clonk, at low speed.)

Will change it out anyway as its worn, (its moving about a 2mm when I pull and push on it) and see if that solves it..

Thx..

Nigel

Update..

Got the car up on a mates ramps..

I can't get to the front UJ's bolts from underneath, so its tunnel out.

Front UJ is in worse condition than diff end.. both are 'squealed for life' types.

Roger thanks for the link, I'd had ordered a UJ..before seeing the link, but reordered another from the site you suggested..its much more substantial (wider bearings) than the first one I ordered. Another on its way..

Birthday money spent, wife wanted me to have a T-Shirt..:D

Thx.

Malbaby,

Flange bolts are directly inside the box the exhaust runs thru, can't reach them.

Thought it would pull of the spline in the prop but it wouldn't /shouldnt?

Planning to strip out interior next week and get U/J's done..and MOT.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Update on the UJ saga..had to remove the interior of the car to get the Prop out..

2 days of work, but done now, and runs very smoothly now..

Put in all the holes and splits in the tunnel as per other forum conversations..

In removing the radio and dash support bracket (that straddles the tunnel) I have found that someone has cut the support bracket down in height by 4" at some time..so now in the search for a replacement that is complete..if anyone may know of a source of one I would really appreciate the lead..

thx

Nigel

13 minutes ago, NigelH said:

Hi All

Update on the UJ saga..had to remove the interior of the car to get the Prop out..

2 days of work, but done now, and runs very smoothly now..

Put in all the holes and splits in the tunnel as per other forum conversations..

In removing the radio and dash support bracket (that straddles the tunnel) I have found that someone has cut the support bracket down in height by 4" at some time..so now in the search for a replacement that is complete..if anyone may know of a source of one I would really appreciate the lead..

thx

Nigel

I don’t know if this is too costly .

but it’s there. 

Triumph tr4  Support Bracket - Fascia to Floor - H frame  806506 original NOS https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273960021644

Nigel -  the proper TR4 H frame finishes about 4" below the bottom of the dash and the gap is filled with the "radio plate" bracket ( not sure the correct terminology) which bolts to the top of the H frame and underneath of the dash and fills in the gap - if yours looks like the one on ebay ( link posted above) then that is correct.

Otherwise I don't understand how it can be 4" cut down - can you post a pic?

Cheers    Rich

10 minutes ago, rcreweread said:

Nigel -  the proper TR4 H frame finishes about 4" below the bottom of the dash and the gap is filled with the "radio plate" bracket ( not sure the correct terminology) which bolts to the top of the H frame and underneath of the dash and fills in the gap - if yours looks like the one on ebay ( link posted above) then that is correct.

Otherwise I don't understand how it can be 4" cut down - can you post a pic?

Cheers    Rich

Yes - need a space for the radio face plate bracket.

There are a few different designs but all fit.
Can be solid or with cutout for radio.
Face can be slightly convx or be recessed to all
the radio knobs to sit inside.

AlanR

Thanks to all for the information. There is a phrase " make a fool of yourself at least once per day"..

The bracket is as original, my radio bracket was made up of several parts, which lead me to think the bracket was cut back.

Just ordered a one piece radio bracket..

Nigel

Really appreciate the advice/guidance.