Steering Wheel shake at 60

Hi

A solution to an issue I wanted to share.

On importing the car I got new tyres, locally fitted at what I though was an OK mechanic shop.  I have driven the TR about 2 years now and has always, at about 60 get steering wheel shake.

Suspecting more worse, I was about to go for a big job but thought to put car, one more time into a Danish equivalent of QuickFit (Superdæk!).  The guy behind the counter was super enthusiastic to get his hands on a classic and did all four wheels, took great car in balancing and decided to put two wheels which had some imperfections to the back.  Result is its like a new front end has been fitted with no shake and much firmer handling!

Not sure what the moral of the story is, maybe something on the lines of do not always trust previous work combined with sometimes the simple ideas are the best solution.

Rich

19 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi

A solution to an issue I wanted to share.

On importing the car I got new tyres, locally fitted at what I though was an OK mechanic shop.  I have driven the TR about 2 years now and has always, at about 60 get steering wheel shake.

Suspecting more worse, I was about to go for a big job but thought to put car, one more time into a Danish equivalent of QuickFit (Superdæk!).  The guy behind the counter was super enthusiastic to get his hands on a classic and did all four wheels, took great car in balancing and decided to put two wheels which had some imperfections to the back.  Result is its like a new front end has been fitted with no shake and much firmer handling!

Not sure what the moral of the story is, maybe something on the lines of do not always trust previous work combined with sometimes the simple ideas are the best solution.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Did they check the run out on the front wheels before fitting to the rear? As if the runout is bad it is not good news for the wheel bearings! What do you mean by some imperfections? That can mean a multitude of sins!

Bruce.

17 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Rich,

Did they check the run out on the front wheels before fitting to the rear? As if the runout is bad it is not good news for the wheel bearings! What do you mean by some imperfections? That can mean a multitude of sins!

Bruce.

Hi Bruce

Not sure what a run out is...

In my bad Danish and his not too bad English I got it that the wheels were not 100% round, so a few whacks in pot-holes over the years have made an impact so he put the lesser-round ones on the back!  He also said wheels are OK even if not 'round' and if the car was a Ferrari then OK, maybe consider this an issue but not for a 70s Triumph.

He also made extra effort to get balancing 100% (test drove and re-did one wheel) and the result I have found is excellent.

Rich

40 minutes ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi Bruce

Not sure what a run out is...

In my bad Danish and his not too bad English I got it that the wheels were not 100% round, so a few whacks in pot-holes over the years have made an impact so he put the lesser-round ones on the back!  He also said wheels are OK even if not 'round' and if the car was a Ferrari then OK, maybe consider this an issue but not for a 70s Triumph.

He also made extra effort to get balancing 100% (test drove and re-did one wheel) and the result I have found is excellent.

Rich

Run out is when you watch the edge of the rim when the wheel is spun to look for the rim moving in and out. Often there is an adjustable pointer on their m/c that is placed near the rim edge then the wheel is spun to check the gap between the pointer and rim. But steel wheels can take a lot more punishment than alloy wheels! Also there are companies here in the UK that can straighten buckled wheels alloy or steel.

Bruce.