Picked up a pair of type 16 Calipers the other day both marked 16p but they were fitted with the dust seals fitted with the metal retaining rings so bought a service kit as appropriate. However on getting them stripped one Caliper has a ridge around the cylinder bore to accept the retaining ring the othe Caliper is totally flat ? Have I in fact got a 16p and a 16pb ? The Pistons fitted are all the wide grove type as appropriate for the retaining ring type dust seals 

Graham

Your post is lost on me, I haven't a clue but do hope someone on the forum will post something to help you. :)

Best wishes,

Mike

Hi Graham,

I think the Moss catalog and probably their web site show the differences.

Regards,

Waldi

• 1 month later...

Yes I think you have two different ones an early and a later one. I have a pair like that here too! 

13 minutes ago, elclem1 said:

Yes I think you have two different ones an early and a later one. I have a pair like that here too! 

I’ve  concluded I’ve one of each Calliper rebuilt using the latter pistons, as I’m not sure if I’m going to keep the car and rebuild it or sell it on I’ve fitted new piston seals and re fitted the callipers. appreciate wouldn’t be what you want for a car on the road but this car is quite a few £’s from being put back on the road I just need to be able to move it when needed.

One is earlier than the other and the dust seal is different - the earlier ones used a seal that looks more like bellows.

Unless the later one is a much later one with metric threads they are interchangeable as the mounting and pipework are the same.